Type keyword(s) to search

San Francisco Sounds: A Place In Time - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On MGM+ tonight (August 20th) and next Sunday, August 27th. 

From the Epix/MGM+ website:

"From Jigsaw Productions, The Kennedy/Marshall Company, Amblin Television, and Jeff Pollack—the team behind the three-time Emmy-nominated documentary Laurel Canyon: A Place in Time—the series tracks the history of the San Francisco music scene from 1965 to 1975.

During this time period, there was a creative explosion in San Francisco that catalyzed and solidified a national movement for a whole generation. Incredible music, brilliant poster art, the birth of the FM radio DJ, the new journalism of Rolling Stone magazine, the emergence of growing-breaking live music impresario, Bill Graham, and seminal festivals—Monterey Pop, Altamont, and Woodstock—propelled Bay Area musicians onto a national scene and into the ears of millions. Some of the greatest artists of the ‘60s came out of that scene such as the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Sly and the Family Stone, Janis Joplin, Big Brother & the Holding Company, Steve Miller, Santana, Moby Grape and so many more.

Frank Marshall, Jeff Pollack, Darryl Frank, Justin Falvey, Stacey Offman, Richard Perello, Aly Parker, and Alison Ellwood are attached as executive producers along with Jeff Jampol, Mark Pinkus, Charlie Cohen, Tom Mackay and Richard Story. Erin Edeiken and Tess Ranahan serve as producers. Ellwood and Anoosh Tertzakian serve as co-directors. Jigsaw Productions, The Kennedy/Marshall Company and Amblin Television are producing in association with FourScore Entertainment, Sony Records and Warner Music Entertainment."

I watched part 1 tonight and it was wonderful to see the footage and listen to the participants talk about the atmosphere of creativity and freedom happening there. I especially loved seeing footage of Janis at the earliest point of her too-short career.  Looking forward to next week. 

• Like 2

This was outstanding. I was 15 during the Summer of Love and remember so much of the music when I first heard it on the radio. I was glad they gave time to the local FM stations in San Francisco that really played a major role in getting these bands on the air. It really was a moment in time...I'm glad they also went into the decline of the Haight and how it all ended. Also...the focus on Bill Graham  and his role in getting the San Francisco sound out to not only the people of San Francisco but to the rest of the country was essential to the various bands getting heard and promoted. He was a force of nature...difficult, brilliant, workaholic...all rolled into one. Loved this series...I would love to see a series on the punk rock era in NYC.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 8/26/2023 at 12:03 PM, Laura Holt said:

Any chance this will air elsewhere?  I'd love to see this!

It looks to be exclusive to MGM+ right now. If you can get streaming and can get a free trial offer, you can get MGM+ for a month and watch it, then cancel

• Useful 1