Type keyword(s) to search

2023 Writers Strike (WGA) and Actors Strike (SAG-AFTRA)

• Start Topic

I am holding out for a hope that the AFTRA-SAG strike will continue. Unless JG & his cast decide to be bigger scabs than they have already demonstrated themselves to be, perhaps the network will substitute old episodes, when they run out of new ones? Praying.  

Y&R cast members are not considered scabs unless they also do work on TV and films outside of soaps. Soap opera actors are not bound by the same contract rules currently being protested by the SAG-AFTRA strike.

Before the writers strike began, JG ended his WGA membership and he fired the Y&R writers who likely hadn't. He has a legal loophole status which allows him to continue working. (Unlike GH which is now using temporary writers who are indeed scabs.) TPTB rewarded JG by making him head writer in addition to executive producer.

JG is still churning out new scripts and it looks like most of the Y&R actors are still showing up. So far it doesn't appear CBS is going to stop producing new episodes of Y&R, even if some fans may wish they would.

On a related note, I'm unsure how the rules work for child actors. I've seen a photo of the boy who plays Connor carrying a pro-strike sign on the picket line. However, the young actress who plays Lucy apparently isn't honoring the strike unless her recent scenes were filmed months ago. According to her IMDb page, she's mostly done non-soap TV work and is probably a regular SAG-AFTRA member.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 3

EB posted this update on his cancer treatment, and it's good news.

Let's hope it remains so!

ETA - I meant to post this in the Behind the scenes forum but I mistakenly put it here.  My apologies.

Aug. 14 (UPI) -- The Young & the Restless star Eric Braeden says he is cancer-free.

The 82-year-old actor gave an update Sunday after being diagnosed with bladder cancer earlier this year.

In a video on Facebook Live, Braeden thanked fans for supporting him along his journey.

"The reason I want to talk to you tonight is I want to tell you I'm grateful [for] all of your good thoughts and your prayers," he said. "It's meant a great deal to me, and I can tell you it obviously has helped, because I had my last cystoscopy two days ago -- that's when they thread a camera into your bladder -- and I'm cancer-free. They couldn't find a damn thing. Isn't that nice?"

Braeden originally announced his cancer diagnosis in April. The actor had surgery and underwent immunotherapy for both low-grade and high-grade cancerous cells found near his bladder.

On Sunday, Braeden said he will receive additional treatment because of the high-grade cancer cells.

The actor will undergo three prophylactic infusions to treat his bladder with "some stuff that apparently kills the cancer" and is waiting for the results of a recent MRI that will show if the cancer has spread.

"And then I should be free for a while," he said. "Every so often, every few months I'll have another cystoscopy, all to find the damn thing early and to fight it. To hell with it."

Braeden has played Victor Newman on The Young & the Restless since 1980. The CBS soap opera is presently in its 50th season.

Edited by boes
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3