Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Paradise

I liked this episode a lot as it demonstrates the dangers of a "utopian" nanny state. I think Alixis is Mike Bloomberg's soulmate (or soulless mate, perhaps)

I loved the way Sisko took his stand against it by refusing to give up his uniform and going back into the box.

My only problem was that I thought the ending was WAY too easy on Alixis. The woman was a liar, kidnapper, tyrant and mass murderer. I could understand the colonists considering staying and keeping to their low tech ways, but they should have had zero sympathy for the monster who deceived them, kidnapped them and killed many of their friends and family.

The ends do not even begin to justify her utterly evil means. She could have found like minded people and shared her plan for a low tech colony with them.

• Love 1
I loved the way Sisko took his stand against it by refusing to give up his uniform and going back into the box.

Yeah, this was a great example of Sisko's bad-assness (and hard-headedness)! W e'll see more of it in later episodes, but this RELLY showcases that when Sisko sets his mind on something, or is conviced he's in the right, he will go to any lengths to prove it, and he just will not back down.

The ends do not even begin to justify her utterly evil means.

This was another great example that DS9 does so well, that often those who SEEM to have your best interest at heart, really are purely out for themselves. (Winn, I'm looking at you!!)

• Love 1

I also love how he saw through Alixis' bull right away.

My only problem was that I thought the ending was WAY too easy on Alixis. The woman was a liar, kidnapper, tyrant and mass murderer. I could understand the colonists considering staying and keeping to their low tech ways, but they should have had zero sympathy for the monster who deceived them, kidnapped them and killed many of their friends and family.

During her speech, I wished they all stormed at her with various weapons... Sudden cut to Sisko and O'Brien aboard the runabout and saying, "Well, that got violent."

Anyway, yes she got off too easy. She won in the end. She brainwashed everyone and created herself a cult. I pity the two children who stood there, staring at the beam out spot.

After Sisko gets out of the box, but can't have water unless he gives in, closed captioning adds in that after he drinks, everyone can drink. I wish they had left that in for her to say. Another good show of the control she has on these people.

Maybe she didn't win in the end. Surely Starfleet wouldn't leave a brainwashed colony to themselves. These people probably also have family that want to reunite with their long lost loved ones. More people might want to settle on the planet. Little by little, her dream is going to fall apart. Meanwhile, she'll spend the rest of her life in prison, having to eat replicated food. Maybe after getting some counseling, even her son will decide he's better off without her.

• Love 1

I also love how he saw through Alixis' bull right away.

During her speech, I wished they all stormed at her with various weapons... Sudden cut to Sisko and O'Brien aboard the runabout and saying, "Well, that got violent."

*LOL* - I love the way you think! 

I agree the Alixis didn't win in the end.  I had the same thought about her being forced to eat replicated food (I'm hoping the Federation had McDonald's and Taco Bell's menus stored in its replicator database) in a Federation prison for the rest of her life. 

You also make a good point that her "utopian" colony would probably eventually fall apart or be "corrupted" into something she would despise.

My problem was that I thought the writers let her off too easy by having the colonists sort of defend her.  If they still loved the low tech society she tricked and coerced them into creating, fine.  But her methods were morally repugnant, and cost many innocent lives, and they should have treated her as the con artist, kidnapper, tyrant and murderer that she was. 

• Love 2
My problem was that I thought the writers let her off too easy by having the colonists sort of defend her.  If they still loved the low tech society she tricked and coerced them into creating, fine.  But her methods were morally repugnant, and cost many innocent lives, and they should have treated her as the con artist, kidnapper, tyrant and murderer that she was.

Totally agree with this. She lied, manipulated and made her people suffer just so she could test out her little delusional experiment. The ending really felt weak and that she suffered no punishment or consequences due to her actions was just wrong. I don't expect them to put her in the box, but the colonists seemed like they merely shrugged their shoulders and went on with it. So she didn't learn anything, except it's easy to make your people weak. Her crimes were quite significant and the bad outweighed the good.

I did love Sisko willing putting himself back into that oven just to make a point, show he couldn't and refused to be manipulated. Love the man.

• Love 2

Totally agree with this. She lied, manipulated and made her people suffer just so she could test out her little delusional experiment. The ending really felt weak and that she suffered no punishment or consequences due to her actions was just wrong. I don't expect them to put her in the box, but the colonists seemed like they merely shrugged their shoulders and went on with it. So she didn't learn anything, except it's easy to make your people weak. Her crimes were quite significant and the bad outweighed the good.

I think it was pretty clear that Alixus was going to jail.  Or at least that was implied by Sisko and O'Brien saying that she'd have to answer for what she did.  So I don't think she got off that easily.  I just wonder if her son went down along with her?

And I don't necessarily think that the colonists were going to forgive her, either.  One of them made it clear that none of them appreciated being lied to.  They just appreciated what new strengths being in a low-tech environment for ten years had given them.  But that was it.

Sorry.  Just watched this one with my boyfriend for the first time and had to weigh in a bit.