Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Whispers

SUMMARY: While preparing the station for upcoming peace talks, O'Brien discovers that the crew have been hiding information from him and giving orders behind his back. O'Brien begins to suspect everyone on the station is gradually being altered or replaced by an unknown force.

Interesting to spend all this time with this guy, and then find out he's not the real O'Brien.

Maybe it's because we spent the whole episode with them, but did anyone find the reactions to his death to be a bit cold? They seem to care a little bit, but that was about it. They didn't even really explain anything to him. They talked about him to each other as he laid there dying.

Keiko was put in a pretty messed up situation.

"O'Brien is returning, except he is not the real O'Brien. We don't know where your husband really is, and this other one is programmed to do something. We don't know what. Might be dangerous though. Oh, and you and Molly need to act like everything is normal."

Edited by Meushell
  • Love 2

I absolutely love this episode. It's one of my favourites. Just the little things that tip off O'Brien, and how he quickly realized the shady behaviour of the rest of the crew. Bashir trying to give him a physical, Keiko acting strange at dinner, the crew withholding information from him and genuinely acting weird.

Then the twist at the end - no it's not the crew itself, its O'Brien himself. Just loved this episode.

It's also an episode that makes me so glad Berman and Piller brought Miles over to DS9. Colm Meaney is a stellar actor and was solely underutilized on Next Generation. Such a waste there. And I love TNG. But he really got a chance to shine, along with the other actors. It really was casting gold and the perfect environment for that character.

• Love 2

I love Miles and I love this episode, because in some ways it shows that no matter how you try to reshape him, Miles O'Brien has certain fundamental traits that make him a good person, as well as a smart, hard-working, honest man with a keen eye for what's going on around him.  Even his replicant has those qualities!

I thought it was a clever and original episode, but it seemed to end very abruptly, like they didn't know what to do with the story after the reveal. It seems like we should have gotten more information about this replicant, how it was created, and by who and what its purpose was. It's a big enough idea to carry over into other episodes but it was just dropped and never mentioned again. Also, in hindsight it seems unlikely that Sisko et. al. would have asked Keiko to put herself and Molly in that kind of danger. They should have been whisked away elsewhere for their own safety and a story could have been concocted to explain where they were. I understand the dramatic impact of having a suspicious acting Keiko but once you understand the story it isn't realistic.