Type keyword(s) to search

Missing (2023)

Hanahope
  • Start Topic

Stars Storm Reid as an 18 year old daughter who's mother (Nia Long) goes on vacation with her boyfried (Ken Leung) to Columbia where they disappear.  When the authorities are slow, the computer-savy daughter does her own investigation through her computer.  

The movie is a stand-alone sequel to Searching (2018) (same universe) which was filmed in a similar way, all through the computer or phone screen.  couple of good twists on the disappearance and back story of the mother.

my only real quibble is why the mother's lawyer didn't tell the daughter everything when the mother went missing, or at least when some additional information about the mother came out in social media.  but that would have eliminated the last 1/3 of the movie.

Now streaming on Netflix.

• Like 2

I saw this in theaters. It was pretty good. I did feel there were one too many red herrings, but it was exciting and suspenseful. There were also references to the previous film Searching, because the girl watched "true crime" shows, including one about Margot Kim's disappearance.

• Like 1

I had always wanted to watch "Searching".  I ended up watching "Missing" first and then "Searching" immediately after, and wondered why they were so similar in format.  I thought both movies were engaging and well-done, though I wish:

Spoiler

they didn't have her investigation put her mother's lawyer's friend in mortal danger.

• Like 1