Type keyword(s) to search

Amen - General Discussion

januaryman
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Speaking of Rolly, it should be noted that the performer Jester Hairston (1901-2000)was a very serious scholar about the history of African-American gospel music detailing its roots in West African folk songs and chants.

One odd lighter note is that for the first year he was credited 'and Jester Hairston as Holly Forbes'. I suppose either someone was hard of hearing or did a typo.LOL

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2

I looked a couple months ago to see if this was streaming anywhere. It was a childhood favorite. 

On 7/12/2023 at 2:38 AM, Blergh said:

Speaking of Rolly, it should be noted that the performer Jester Hairston (1901-2000)was a very serious scholar about the history of African-American gospel music detailing its roots in West African folk songs and chants.

One odd lighter note is that for the first year he was credited 'and Jester Hairston as Holly Forbes'. I suppose either someone was hard of hearing or did a typo.LOL

I had the pleasure of meeting and singing under Jester Hairston when he was the guest choir director for a group I was in.  We performed a couple of his compositions, and he was an absolute delight.  He had the most wonderful, "jolly" personality.  He was a real treasure. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2023 at 7:51 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I had the pleasure of meeting and singing under Jester Hairston when he was the guest choir director for a group I was in.  We performed a couple of his compositions, and he was an absolute delight.  He had the most wonderful, "jolly" personality.  He was a real treasure. 

That sounds like it would have been a most amazing experience! Great that you got to have that!  I wish I had had the chance to pick his brain about the history of African-American music!

I don't think Thelma stole the show and Rolly, whilst cute, really wasn't on enough to steal the show.  It was Sherman Hemsley's show and boy did he deliver!  I did enjoy the show back in the day but watching it now, that Thelma character is just so toxic that I really can't enjoy it.  We're supposed to buy that a good-looking, highly educated, African-American Reverend would be interested in a selfish, self-centered, uneducated, not very attractive woman who can't cook and whines if he puts church needs first??  Then she chases after him desperately the first half of the series and then he marries her for whatever reason, she disrespects him left and right.  Clifton Davis was wasted on her.  Fortunately, we can see Clifton and Rolly minus the toxic broad on "That's My Mama" and Sherman Hemsley on "The Jeffersons."  Both shows are currently on Tubi.