Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Arrest

• Start Topic

Candy seems really hard by denying everything and pretending that everything will ne OK. She even claimed that it was Betty who "destroyed her life".  While it's true that Betty first attacked her, it was Candy who suggested an affair to Betty's husband and when Betty realized it, she evidently went over the edge.

It's hardest to understand how she can speak of God and still not to confess her crime, evidently thinking OK to live a sin on her conscience.

I don't understand the US crime investigation in this series although I have seen many crime series. How could the sheriff and others intergorate Candy even after they suspected her of murder without giving her the Miranra warning? After all, it was given to Al.

Also, once Al confessed his affair with Candy who was known to be the last person who had seen Betty, or at least after Candy's interrogation, why didn't the sheriff ask request a search warrant for Candy's home instead of asking her to give her two shoes? No criminal is hardly so stupid that she comes to the police interrogation with the same shoes she committed the deed. 

Candy's lawyer has of course a duty to defend her with all his skill, although he knows that she is guilty, but I don't understand why did expressly lie in public.

After the media attention, I don't believe that Candy can have an unpartial jury.

Despite the horrific story, the show and the actress are very good.

• Like 1
(edited)

In this episode, Love & Death decides to include Candy’s hypnotherapy session with a psychiatrist where she’s seen having a mental breakdown. Clearly the show wants us to empathize with Candy and her action.

In her community, Candy is seen as “the most normal person on the planet”.

With what happened, media has painted her as “the scarlet woman, the axe-wielding hussy”.

But her psychiatrist has diagnosed her with “just snapped”.

Betty shushed Candy. Was Candy really triggered by that or her hatred of Betty? 🤨

6BB39F7A-5D14-4B13-B209-43F5DF0B611B.jpeg

BD24334E-6C08-4E1F-9C15-5CB41F2E783A.jpeg

B9E36BA5-BF4E-4BA1-822C-B257501DB269.jpeg

470CE23F-7C16-4DCE-9559-90F5170ECBC0.jpeg

C895A9A8-5630-4000-BAE5-5CE490C963A6.jpeg

37972565-918E-4113-B1C7-88F53473AE4C.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

In this episode, Love & Death decides to include Candy’s hypnotherapy session with a psychiatrist where she’s seen having a mental breakdown. Clearly the show wants us to empathize with Candy and her action.

In her community, Candy is seen as “the most normal person on the planet”.

With what happened, media has painted her as “the scarlet woman, the axe-wielding hussy”.

But her psychiatrist has diagnosed her with “just snapped”.

Betty shushed Candy. Was Candy really triggered by that or her hatred of Betty? 🤨

6BB39F7A-5D14-4B13-B209-43F5DF0B611B.jpeg

BD24334E-6C08-4E1F-9C15-5CB41F2E783A.jpeg

B9E36BA5-BF4E-4BA1-822C-B257501DB269.jpeg

470CE23F-7C16-4DCE-9559-90F5170ECBC0.jpeg

C895A9A8-5630-4000-BAE5-5CE490C963A6.jpeg

37972565-918E-4113-B1C7-88F53473AE4C.jpeg

I don't think the show wants us sympathize Betty, and certaily not her deed. Rather, it seems to me that hypnotherapy was the only idea of her lawyer (who knows she is guilty) to defend her.

There are two things that speak strongly against Candy. First, she had of course a right to self-defence but 40 ax blows isn't that - she could, and should, have ceased to blow when Betty was no more a danger to her. Second, would a normal person with a conscience to behave so in cold bloold as she had done after her crime - she has done everything to conceal her deed, there has been no remorse (or at least I have not seen it) and on the contrary she have blamed the victim ("she destroyed my life"). 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Roseanna said:

I don't think the show wants us sympathize Betty, and certaily not her deed. Rather, it seems to me that hypnotherapy was the only idea of her lawyer (who knows she is guilty) to defend her.

I think you meant Candy, not Betty.

Still, I do empathize with Candy and it certainly seems like she "just snapped" after years and years of pushing down rage.  And then she was in such shock at her actions that she tried to push that down too.  

• Like 1
On 5/13/2023 at 2:10 AM, Cosmocrush said:

I think you meant Candy, not Betty.

Still, I do empathize with Candy and it certainly seems like she "just snapped" after years and years of pushing down rage.  And then she was in such shock at her actions that she tried to push that down too.  

Of course Candy.

Re: "she just snapped" - would we say it about a *man* who had killed with 40 axe blows?

What makes me *not* to emphatize Candy is the selfish, callous and hypocritical way she *earlier* behaved. It's not about her having sex outside marriage, such things happen, but it wasn't because of circumstances offered a chance but on the contrary she planned it and deliberately chose her friend's husband (of course she hadn't many options) and, before all, when Al wanted to quit the affair because of his wife, she accused him that he didn't care about *her* feelings, forgetting the rules they had agreed beforehand.

Of course the crime wouldn't have happened if Betty hadn't had serious mental problems for a long and attacked Candy. But it was typical for a housewife totally dependent on her husband that Betty's idea was that another woman was taking her husband from her, as if Al had no power to make the decision himself. Although in the beginning it was Candy who made an invitation, that's no defence to Al.

But at least Al finally realized that that a long, regular affair harmed his marriage (as an outsider could have warned him in advance) and searched for help to save it. Maybe without the affair he would have done it earlier.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2023 at 2:10 AM, Cosmocrush said:

And then she was in such shock at her actions that she tried to push that down too.  

Well, it may be that she can't confess her crime because she sees herself as a good person. Yet, she is supposed to be religious and doesn't that mean that all men are sinners?

It's also hard to undestand how she could earlier connect that self-image with her adultery with her friend's husband, and thus lying both to her husband and to her friend. She didn't even *try* to resist temptation, although her pastor and friend warned her.

I wonder if we are supposed to interpret both Candy and Betty as offers because as housewives they were trappped at home. Whereas Betty was deeply depressed, Candy didn't invent anything exciting to do than an affair.