Type keyword(s) to search

Boston Strangler (2023)

Kel Varnsen
  • Start Topic

Watched this last night on Disney Plus. It was pretty good, although I do love a good reporter works hard to uncover the truth movie. Although it wasn't as good as Zodiac or Spotlight.

Keira Knightley did a pretty good job as the main character. Although it is weird seeing her play a real grown up since I still picture her as the version of her from Pirates of the Caribbean, although she was only 18 when Curse of the Black Pearl Came out in 2003. Her American accent was pretty good. 

Probably the most interesting thing for me was just seeing how easy it would be to get away with murdering someone in the past, as long as you didn't have an obvious motive or there was an eye witness. The investigative tools that cops had were so limited. If course it also means a lot of people or ok probably went to prison for something they didn't do.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SeanC said:

I thought this was okay. Very obviously imitating Zodiac at points.

I feel like a lot of those bits are probably just standard reporter movie tropes. Like fighting with the editor, getting friendly and bringing coffee for the cops who help you out, getting people to talk off the record and montages of digging through piles of documents. It's probably been 15 years since I have seen All the President's Men but I feel like a lot of these kind of things probably show up there too.

I did like how hear there was the subplot about the reporters calling out the police department for the crappy job they were doing.

• Love 1

I thought Knightley and C**** were great.  I liked the reporting aspects of this movie, but I didn't think they did a great job of showing Loretta and Jean's relationship building via the investigation.  It did feel like there was a mutual respect between them, but until the end of the movie said they became close friends, I never would have guessed that.

• Love 1