Type keyword(s) to search

RRR (2022)

Mockingbird
  • Start Topic

My local indie theater just held a few showings of RRR in honor of its historic Best Original Song Oscar nom, and it was the most fun I’ve had in a theater in years. If you’re looking for a movie to watch with friends, this is the movie you all are looking for.

Here’s the synopsis that sold me: RRR is an exhilarating, action-packed spectacular mythologizing two real-life freedom fighters who helped lead India’s fight for independence from the British Raj, Komaram Bheem (N.T Rama Rao Jr., aka Jr NTR) and Alluri Sitarama Raju (Ram Charan). Set in the 1920s before their fight for India’s independence began, RRR imagines a fictional meeting between the two, set into motion when a young Gond girl is stolen from her village by British soldiers. With a powerful message, staggeringly choreographed action sequences, and an all-timer of a musical number, RRR is sheer big-screen joy from start to finish, and audiences have one more chance to see it big and loud as intended.

It’s on Netflix. A spoiler-y trailer is below.

An AMC theater that is "only" an hour away is showing RRR, and I jumped at the chance to see it.  Unfortunately, I didn't love it. 

The reaction people are having makes me think of the reaction to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  I saw it when it came out, and again a couple of weeks ago when it played in theaters for a week, and both times I thought it was just okay.  However, I'd already seen a lot of wuxia movies, so the whole concept was nothing new--to me.  But I think it was very new to lots of people, and that's what they were reacting to.

I wonder if it's somewhat the same thing with RRR, and whether this is people's first brush with Indian movies.  It's not mine, and I have to admit that I don't generally like them and don't go even though there are usually two or three playing locally at any given time.  But the rhapsodic reactions to RRR made me want to see it.

I didn't hate it, but it just didn't seem like anything new--to me.  I already know about the gigantic song and dance numbers, and generally don't really enjoy them.  And I've seen I don't know how many Hong Kong action films, so the action wasn't anything new.  However, the blood was; I prefer violence to be more mayhem than gore, and I detest torture and cruelty. 

And I'm not a huge fan of CGI.  So there was a lot of smashing faces in with logs and fake animals, on top of a format that wasn't revelatory to me.  And I don't know enough about Indian movies to be excited that these two actors were working together. 

But I was in my favorite seat, with only two other people in the theater who I couldn't even tell were there, and I generally like action movies, so I don't want my three hours back.  However, if I'd known before going the particulars on the gore and torture, I probably wouldn't have gone.

Regardless, I'm really happy people are enjoying it. 

• Like 2