Type keyword(s) to search

S44: Yamil "Yam Yam" Arocho

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Yamil "Yam Yam" Arocho

Hometown: Bayamon, Puerto Rico

Current Residence: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Three Words to Describe You: Fun, loud, and caring

Why do you want to be part of Survivor? I want to fulfill my lifelong dream of playing the best game in the world. I've been watching since the very first episode, when I was 13 years old. And I want to prove to me, that I have the physical and mental strength to make my dreams come true, and to win the title and money.

What's one life experience you feel has prepared you for the game? After Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico, we had no power in my house or work for 90 days. And I had to lead my team of 20+ adults (most older than me) and give them hope, when I felt I had none. Without them I would not be who I am today.

Which previous player do you identify with the most? Who do you think you will play most like? Cirie Fields. She is lovable, caring and fun. She is super intelligent and a strategy genius. I hope to emulate her and win.

What will you value in an alliance partner? Intelligence and commitment. I need to play with intelligent people that want to go far with me.

Favorite Hobbies: Taking care of my plants, going to the beach with my husband, hanging out with my girlfriends, and traveling.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? Leading a team of cool people, following the steps of my mother. Being married to my husband and creating a home. Getting on Survivor.

What is something we would never know from looking at you? I love to do bearded drag at Halloween.

Who in your life is your biggest inspiration and why? My mother, Sandra, because of her tenacity to always be a better version of herself. And her unconditional help to others.

Why will you be the Sole Survivor? I will be the Sole Survivor because the stars have aligned for me, it's my time, and because of my social game.

Yam Yam.jpeg

Just came to this thread looking for more information.  I must have missed when he stated on the show he is from Puerto Rico, I had assumed he was Indian, as he looks and sounds Indian to me. 

I had also been confused as to why his name is spelled "Yam Yam" but everyone calls him "Jam Jam".  I don't speak Spanish but apparently Y sounds like J?  It all makes a lot more sense to me now that I found out he's from Puerto Rico.

• Like 1
(edited)

Exit interview with Yam Yam:

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-44-yam-yam-arocho-winner-interview/

-Heidi winning at fire motivated him and compelled him to go in the direction he did at the FTC (mostly talking about the bonds he made with everyone).  Had she not had such a good showing at fire, he might have done things differently.  He was watching the juries reactions to his comments and trying to read the room as to whether his arguments were working in his favor

-He was most surprised by Kane's vote, as he said Kane was always expressionless and it was hard to tell where he stood

-as to why he helped Carson: he and Carolyn had no problem making fire on the beach, but Carson was off on his own and wanted to be left alone.  He broke down when Yam Yam checked on him, to the point that Yam Yam felt this was more than just the game because he hadn't seen Carson act like that.  He feels he should be proud for managing to make fire against someone who set the record for the fastest time

-he doesn't know if he'd beat Carson in the final 3, but thinks it could have been close

-he thinks if he had won F4 immunity he would have put himself in fire because he trusted his skills enough, and says that maybe he would have put Carolyn and Carson in fire even if it was a bad jury move (he thinks they would have voted for each other, although as we saw, Carson ended up voting for Yam Yam)

-he also wishes they showed more of the fun everyone had together

-he would do The Amazing Race with Carolyn in a heartbeat, although admits they might not be any good at it (personally I'd root for Yam and Carolyn or Carolyn and Carson over Matt and Frannie to be on)

As to whether he and Carolyn were faking their fights:

Were you and Carolyn faking arguments out there so people wouldn't realize you were as aligned as you were? How much of that was real and how much was acting?

We were. Carolyn and I were very in tune about everything that was going on and we would talk about faking arguments. But Miss Carolyn, halfway through my faking the argument — like at the "Bye, Felicia" Tribal Council — she forgot! We were joking and she was like, "Whoa!" And turning against me and going "Are you for real? Are you serious?" And I'm like, "Girl, we're good. It was a joke." "Oh no, no. If you said it, it was because you meant it!"

I was like, Oh my God, I'm a good actor. I'm such a good actor that I play Carolyn in our acting thing, but that's how Carolyn is. Carolyn is such a good player that she was always a step ahead in terms of like, "Maybe they're not, maybe it's just true." But I was like, "Carolyn, you know, it was like a joke!" I'm happy everybody enjoyed it, but it to me I was like, Oh my God, here we go again.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 4
On 2/16/2023 at 4:38 PM, Whimsy said:

Why will you be the Sole Survivor? I will be the Sole Survivor because the stars have aligned for me, it's my time, and because of my social game.

Indeed that's why you won Yam Yam. And gz :)