Type keyword(s) to search

I Love You, You Hate Me - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I watched it and it just pissed me off in the end. The focus on the hate the show got was interesting and disturbing but it was a narrative mess. Way too much focus on the dark path the son of the show’s creator went down just to completely gloss over it in the end. Minimizing what he did and doing an awful job of explaining what happened to him. 

The most interesting parts were the guy who played Steve in Blue’s Clues and the guy who realized the Barney hate site he ran paved the way for 4chan. 

Look I disliked Barney just as much as the next adult in the 90s but the length these losers went to "destroy him" was just stupid.  The leader of the Jahid to Destroy Barney.  Dude.  

It was an ok documentary but honestly an interview with a mascot as to why he hates Barney, ugh it was just too goofy and stupid.  I ended up FF though a lot of the 2nd half. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

What a mess.  Half-way through the second episode my husband wondered aloud how many episodes there were and I clarified that no matter how many were released, there would be only two episodes that this girl would be watching.  Oy.  The same footage over and over and over (and over);  the dramatic lead-up to the son's struggles, only to then gloss over them and never really delve into why he did what he did;  a full-on interview with a chicken mascot.

I wasted perfectly good Sunday couch time on this shit show.   Please learn from me...don't let this happen to you.

• Love 1

The lengths people went to be able express violence and hatred tracks for where we are decades later. 

The thing that stood out to me the most, was the man who created the I Hate Barney society. The guy is away on business, comes home, expects his three year old daughter to be over joyed and when she’s not he finds she’s transfixed by Barney and that hurts his feelings.

Instead of asking himself why she’s not happy to see you, instead of putting your energy into spending more time with her, I stead of wondering what YOU can do…he chooses to attack and destroy what his daughter loved. Not even bothering to try with her, just eliminate what she loves so you’re all that’s left. 

What an asshole. What an example of male fragility. I doubt he was ever taken to task for it but I don’t care that he credits Barney for dealing with his sadness and alcoholism. What he chose to do was shameful. 

Edited by moonorchid
  • Applause 1