Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E20: Frozen

• Start Topic

When Captain Sig tempts fate fishing in the path of the approaching ice edge, he must brave the ice floes in a desperate attempt to retrieve his crab and gear. In heavy seas, Josh and Casey lend Sean a hand after he gets ghosted by a more senior captain.

Always tough to know if a situation is played up for the cameras, but the "suitcase" method of launching pots was interesting.  It certainly was a great look into what crabbers were made to endure back in the day.  I wish I trusted the urgency of Jake's rush to do it, as opposed to fixing the engine issue.

Not sure if I've seen the in and out harvesting method that Jake employed when it was quite nautical out there.  Also not sure if I like it.  If it is bad enough to force everyone off the deck at every opportunity, is it safe enough to be on the deck at all?  

I could not figure out why the TB deck boss, in this case Freddie, was not able to make the call as to the hook man.  We never did hear the captain ordering the switch.  He merely played along as Freddie went apeshit.  What was the point in allowing that?  What was the urgency of the newer guy doing it?  Another Disco rat at play?  From what we were shown, Freddie was totally within his rights to assign positions. 

And again...an interesting experiment with the liquid bait from Norway.  For sure, this was encouraged, if not suggested by Disco.  What is intentionally unclear is the effect it may have had.  I sure did not see much difference.  I also noticed there was zero mention of cost.  It would be great if this stuff worked and it saved cash, and wear and tear on greenhorns.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes