Type keyword(s) to search

[QUESTION, ANSWERED] Westminster dog show

rcc

1 hour ago, AllAstronauts said:

The search function works well...

Oh, them’s fightin words, but I know y’all have a lot on your plate so I’ll reserve my comments till things settle out. 

On 6/23/2022 at 7:03 PM, rcc said:

I remember there was a thread but can't find it. 

On 6/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, AllAstronauts said:

The search function works well...

On 6/23/2022 at 10:11 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Oh, them’s fightin words, but I know y’all have a lot on your plate so I’ll reserve my comments till things settle out. 

1 minute ago, AllAstronauts said:

Actually, search is my jam with this software package so feel free to start sumthin - I'll probably agree and then fix it with stuff I already have on hand.

Sorry I didn't mean that to come across as quite as snarky as it did.  I'm just having ongoing issues with the search function here.  You can probably find my gripes in the bugs thread.  Basically if you type in what the OP was looking for and take all the defaults, you get 1 million plus results, including any post that contains the word "the".  Then if you try to refine it using any of the options it gives you (like, sort by most recent, or include exact phrase), it scolds you that you have to wait x number of seconds before you can search again.  Then if you use your browser's "back" button, you again get told you have to wait...  I know there are alternatives, like using Google to search the site (but I can never remember the exact format), but it would be nice if the default when you enter a search term and hit enter was a little more intuitive.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

it scolds you that you have to wait x number of seconds before you can search again

Search limit. I can tweak that now (though there has to be some limit there otherwise bots will bot the hell of search and that's not fun for anyone)

2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Then if you use your browser's "back" button, you again get told you have to wait...

See above. Me changing things will address both.

3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

you get 1 million plus results, including any post that contains the word "the".

'the' shouldn't be amplified at all. I'll see what this is running on (either MySQL or ElasticSearch (or Amazon OpenSearch)) - Can't promise I will change it now if it is on MySQL (switching engines kicks off a whole new index naturally - it's not bad, it goes quickly enough, from newest content to oldest, but it is a process - something best planned)

I also have custom mods that address some of the faults with the actual results text returned, term highlighting on pages you surf to from the results pages, and so on. One of my personal sites running on this software is utterly reliant on search so - I care 😃

The main hitch that remains is if you start to filter the search results based on a category, it will search EXACTLY THAT category and NOT any categories beneath it, requiring you to select every category down the chain one by one if you need your search to be greedy. Haven't gotten around that one yet (to do so may be invasive to the software package but I have some ideas...) - hours in the day as they say.

I gotta duck for a bit but I'll post in here once I set the search time out.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, AllAstronauts said:

Search limit. I can tweak that now (though there has to be some limit there otherwise bots will bot the hell of search and that's not fun for anyone)

See above. Me changing things will address both.

'the' shouldn't be amplified at all. I'll see what this is running on (either MySQL or ElasticSearch (or Amazon OpenSearch)) - Can't promise I will change it now if it is on MySQL (switching engines kicks off a whole new index naturally - it's not bad, it goes quickly enough, from newest content to oldest, but it is a process - something best planned)

I also have custom mods that address some of the faults with the actual results text returned, term highlighting on pages you surf to from the results pages, and so on. One of my personal sites running on this software is utterly reliant on search so - I care 😃

The main hitch that remains is if you start to filter the search results based on a category, it will search EXACTLY THAT category and NOT any categories beneath it, requiring you to select every category down the chain one by one if you need your search to be greedy. Haven't gotten around that one yet (to do so may be invasive to the software package but I have some ideas...) - hours in the day as they say.

I gotta duck for a bit but I'll post in here once I set the search time out.

I don’t understand about 50% of that but it sounds like you have an idea of what I’m griping about so good to hear!

I set the search flood control to 3 seconds for members. Probably could be less or unlimited honestly but this should be fine. You should no longer get any "you must wait..." when searching or navigating back to a search results page, unless you just speed click results and back button, or search for something different less than 3 seconds from the prior search you made.

• Thanks 2