Type keyword(s) to search

The Hundred Foot Journey (2014)

wlk68
  • Start Topic

Summary:

The Kadam family clashes with Madame Mallory, proprietress of a celebrated French restaurant, after they open their own nearby eatery, until undeniable chemistry causes the Madame to take gifted young chef Hassan under her wing.

Saw this today and thought it was sweet, cute and funny. It made me want to move to the French countryside...or at least stop eating instant noodles for dinner and frequent my local farmers market more often. I originally went because I love Helen Mirren and will watch her in anything but found myself smitten by Manish Dayal. He was adorable. The actress who played Marguerite (Charlotte Le Bon) looked so much like a young Winona Ryder it was scary. 

• Love 2

wlk68,  I saw the movie last weekend with friends and had the same thoughts as you.  The movie was charming, warm and amusing. And the locale was stunning.   Helen Mirren is a Goddess in my eyes and can do no wrong and she didn't disappoint here.  BUT I (and my friends) also came away quite taken with Manish Dayal.  Nice looking young man and a good actor.  I look forward to seeing more of him.  

It's not a deep film but it's a great way to escape the day to day nonsense for a couple of hours and have a few smiles and giggles.

• Love 1

I agree that the movie wasn't very deep. Even the more severe conflicts were quickly resolved. I almost wish there had been more of point made about the parallel between how their mother had been killed in a fire back in India when the snotty Jean-Pierre and his cronies tried to set fire to new restaurant.

All that being said, yes, it was a delightful way to spend a couple of hours.  

I had a movie date with a friend, who demanded we see a superhero action flick, but I wanted this one.  So we did a double feature (and paid $25 to gorge for five hours on 88 cents worth of bottomless buttered popcorn.)

HA!!!  My movie soooooo won.

I didn't think it hit the Marigold Hotel stratosphere of charm, but it was a lovely little movie.

• Love 2