Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: First Date

• Start Topic

And now we have witches, I guess!

Well, we got two things I wanted in this episode: Ben finding out, and more scenes with the leads. I'd also figured Juliette's first kill would end up being in self defense, so her taking out the weird Guild guy wasn't surprising, but I liked it. It effectively solves two problems: it gets the Guild off Calliope's tail for now, and it cures Juliette's health issues. I wonder how often she needs real blood to survive.

Is the serpent still inside Juliette's dad, or is it controlling him somehow, or is he having residual effects from its healing? I'm not liking his personality shift.

I think Elinor's my favorite character, honestly. Her powers may not work on other Legacies, but she can still get what she wants. Also, she has the right idea about life. She's just out there looking gorgeous, mind-controlling people, eating whatever (and whoever) she wants, enjoying the sunshine, admiring herself in mirrors... this type of vampire is truly living the life. I think Juliette should embrace her nature a little more. There are surely lots of terrible people out there she could eat if she had some kind of Dexter-Morgan-type code, haha.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

My enjoyment of the series took a dip with this episode because everyone was so stupid. 

The hunters know that nobody has killed a Legacy vamp in basically centuries. They know that there's a massive gathering of Legacies. So instead of doing surveillance, or ambushing individual vamps or doing anything of a gazillion things, they try to brute force a victory against like a couple dozen vamps. Instead of basically sending every guild hunter in the U.S. to take care of the job, they leave it up to seven of them. Instead of trying to decapitate the vamps or mutilate them or just use overwhelming force on them, they stab them once with their spears and do nothing to make sure they stay down.

And when the vamps start to recover, instead of killing these hunters with their superior numbers, they somehow fail to kill all but two of them and even let one of their own get captured.

Knowing that the parents would be freaking out about her whereabouts, Calliope fails to borrow a cell phone from someone to let her family know that she's OK. Hell, actually, Calliope has no reason to believe any of her family has survived at this point.  And then when Daddy Fairmont comes, she voluntarily gets in the car with him when there was Ben and a whole bunch of other options for a ride home.

Also, this episode paints the possibility that Calliope's feelings really are being forced on her, even unwittingly, by Juliette's feelings through her having tasted her. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

The hunters know that nobody has killed a Legacy vamp in basically centuries. They know that there's a massive gathering of Legacies. So instead of doing surveillance, or ambushing vamps or doing anything of a gazillion things, they try to brute force a victory against like a couple dozen vamps.

I kind of wondered if the Guild was deliberately setting them up for failure. I don't remember if there was any real evidence for that or if it was me just trying to justify why such a small group (containing three young people who hadn't even been through Guild training yet) was sent after such powerful enemies. It seemed like they wanted an excuse to snatch Calliope up while everyone was gone, too. 

• Useful 3