Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: Murder Was the Case

• Start Topic

With Spencer and Asher's tension at an all-time high, JJ plans a party for the gang. Olivia goes against her instinct about an article causing friction between her and Spencer. Jordan is trying to hide his feeling by making some uncharacteristic choices that doesn't go unnoticed by his friends. Coop is thriving in her new job, leaving Patience to see a new side of Coop. Meanwhile, Grace joins Billy on his all-nighter of protecting the school from the Halloween vandal and shares some news of her own with him.

Airdate: 05/16/2022

This episode was just weird for the most part.  It was hard to get over all this Halloween crap in an episode that the writers knew was going to be in May, although at least it gave sort of an idea of a timeline.  (There was of course a Thanksgiving episode that aired in the summer last year, which was also weird.)  I thought the episode was going to end with Spencer and Olivia breaking up.  I can't say I saw a SWATting coming.  With the phone calls I thought the season was going to end with Wade snapping and trying to kill Olivia or something, but I suppose that could still happen, unfortunately.

J.J. has too much time on his hands for a major college athlete, or anyone, really.  I feel bad for him, but he's really only friends with three of these people (Olivia and Layla seem mostly bemused by him, and he's barely ever talked to Coop and Patience), and it's just reality that a lot of people do grow apart and move on, so his efforts to keep the whole group together forever will probably be in vain.  Chris has already moved on to The Wonder Years college football elsewhere, as has Darnell.  Even on 90210 when everyone implausibly ended up in the same area for college, half the cast ended up leaving eventually.  I think Spencer and Asher had the right idea when they didn't think their friendship was that strong--they're always clashing and seem to mostly be together because of their friendships with others.

The janitor as the South Crenshaw vandal was pretty obvious, though for a second I thought they'd have some dumb thing like him being a ghost.  So long to another cast member.  They probably don't have time to deal with Dillon's reaction to their departure, which I have a feeling would be pretty strong and negative.

Coop and Patience were cute, but will probably back off next week and say it was a mistake, especially because Coop is with Sky.

Jordan is moving very fast for someone who just got dumped by a girl who was his wife for a time.  Layla probably would have pointed this out if it weren't for the cops bursting in with guns drawn.  Between juggling all the girls without knowing their names and trying to pounce on Layla already, I don't feel sorry for him now.

• Love 2

At first I thought this episode was a halloween flashback episode. Then I realized the events were too fresh to be old. This is just one of those many filler episodes of season 4. I always enjoy them though. 

I don't feel sorry for Jordan either nor Simone.  If it wasn't for Thea, Simone and Damon would be together and it's just a matter of time before Leyla and Jordan get together. I could be the only one but I'm not into this pairing. 

JJ is really the only person who can get Leyla to do something she doesn't want to lol. 

Another episode where I thought Spencer and Olivia would break up but they didn't once again. I feel like the writers will continue this game, making them fight or disagree about something and reconcile them to make it look like a healthy realationship where they communicate. 

I think that things will be messy between Coop and Patience in the next episode. I don't know what's in store for them but it's too good to be true if they just get back together like this with no further complications. 

In the beginning of the episode when Billy and Preach were scared about staying there alone at night I was like "look at these two tough grown up men acting scared for nothing, I bet if it was Amina there she wouldn't be afraid". And then she appeared at the end and I found it very funny. Billy should have asked her to stay with him instead of Preach lol. 

• Love 1

I don't like Jordan/Layla either.  I liked how in the previous episode, Simone called out Jordan on trying to say Layla had always been his "best friend," saying that she was Olivia's best friend, not his.  It was like the writers calling out their own retcon.  Of course it's possible that Jordan always hung out with them as kids; but in the first few seasons, he and Layla rarely interacted.  That only changed when they thought they should start setting them up as a couple, and was not subtle at all!

My favorite thing is this episode was when J.J. excitedly announced that he was planning the murder mystery and Layla was like, "'Kay."  That reaction made me laugh.

• Love 1