Type keyword(s) to search

Best In Miniature - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Am I enjoying this CBC show, in which

11 highly skilled artists from across the world...compete in the ultimate challenge: building their dream home in miniature form. The competitors will create their houses, in painstaking detail, room by room by shrinking life-size objects to 1:12 scale...Judged by U.K Miniature Expert Emma Waddell, and esteemed Designer Micheal Lambie, precision and design technique will save the competitors from elimination.

Yeah, it's entertaining in a low-key way. Am I however mostly starting this thread because I would like it entered into the record how bothered I am every week when host Aba Amuquandoh says, "They better not sweat the small stuff!" when OBVIOUSLY the better line is, "They better sweat the small stuff, because it's all small stuff!!" It's very possible that this is my only goal.

• Love 1

Stopped watching because I could not stand the bias of the judging. Eliminating someone because the door is the wrong size but a staircase above a bathtub and a table practically IN a fireplace are absolutely fine design choices because you obviously like that contestant more? And then not sending someone home the week that their other favorite was in the bottom? 

Tina should have lasted much longer. Her story and design choices were actually original. The haunted house was so much fun, too.  

• Like 1

It was really telling how some contestants would get heaps of praise with no negative notes and still not get top two over one of the judges' golden boys whose feedback was much less effusive. The format might be better if they had a third guest judge every week.

Finished watching series 3. Again by the first episode the judges made it obvious who their favorites were. As the episodes went by, their bias became more and more blatant. Like telling Tiff nothing was wonky in her kitchen while the camera zoomed in on legs of the stools that didn't all touch the floor. And how they did not put the doll in everyone’s rooms during judging because the scale of their faves were sometimes laughably off. 

There was no mystery from episode one who would be going home the first few episodes. Bad time management, too many ideas, and in one contestant’s case not bothering to measure things which boggles the mind. 

I quickly tired of Elliot’s “rust”.  He used it in every room. Why would working laboratory equipment for his “hobby” be rusty? And how does a flying machine work when rust coats the hub of the propeller? His idea was original and fun but he used the same techniques over and over. When he repeated things in every room the judges could not stop raving over it, but then they called Lance out for that exact thing. 

I will give Elliot credit for having a concept that required no molding or wall features or other choices that other contestants got dinged for, like poor Mike. And despite all my complaining about him, Elliot fulfilled the brief the best and had the most intriguing story of the final three. 

As for the final designs, I preferred how Lance put the exterior features all the way around his mikiwan and on top of it. After seeing that, it felt strange to see the other two only had a massive yard on one side.

I saw Lance once made a miniature of Stephen King’s It house from the movie and of the Muppet theatre as well. I cannot get over the level of talent of the people on this show.