Type keyword(s) to search

Gosford Park (2001)

Hiyo
  • Start Topic

Great movie. Here are some deleted scenes:

Also, missed the part about adding the year the movie was released in the title, is there any way to edit that? I can't seem to find the option to do that.

• Love 2

I adore this movie. It really is one of those that gets better on repeat viewings — to pick up the clues but also to follow all the stories and conversations. Viewers aren’t spoon fed anything. You’re basically plopped down in this world and have to figure it out. In other words, viewers are treated like they have some intelligence. Great clothes, great atmosphere, great music, great acting.

As snobby as she is, I just love Aunt Constance and her relationship with Mary.

• Love 8

Great clothes, great atmosphere, great music, great acting.

Great casting too.

As snobby as she is, I just love Aunt Constance and her relationship with Mary.

They certainly had an interesting dynamic.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:40 PM, AgathaC said:

I adore this movie. It really is one of those that gets better on repeat viewings — to pick up the clues but also to follow all the stories and conversations. Viewers aren’t spoon fed anything. You’re basically plopped down in this world and have to figure it out.

It really is delightful. It's a glimpse into a world that is about to vanish. I can't help but wonder how all their lives are changed when WWII breaks out.

• Love 2
On 3/17/2022 at 4:40 PM, AgathaC said:

I adore this movie. It really is one of those that gets better on repeat viewings — to pick up the clues but also to follow all the stories and conversations. Viewers aren’t spoon fed anything. You’re basically plopped down in this world and have to figure it out. In other words, viewers are treated like they have some intelligence. Great clothes, great atmosphere, great music, great acting.

Altman in general repeats well, I find. As casual as his movies can look, they're full of dialogue and business and, usually, enough characters for two or three films. There are a few I just loved from the first time, and some others were good enough to see again and then they grew on me. I love the organic treatment of conversation and seemingly effortless atmosphere in almost everything he made. 

That isn't to say he didn't make some hopeless duds, because he did, and not all of his classics have stood the test of time equally well. McCabe & Mrs. Miller yes, M*A*S*H* not so much.

Gosford Park is one I should see again. When I saw it in 2001 or early 2002, I liked it, but I recalled that USA Today (I think it was) had published a non-spoilery "who's who" page detailing the characters and their relationships. As I sat in the theater, I wished I had closely read it beforehand. That was before we had Wikipedia.

• Love 1