Type keyword(s) to search

The Boys Presents: Diabolical

• Start Topic

The Boys Presents: Diabolical       March 4         Prime Video  
8 eps, each is about 12 minutes long   all released at once
Diabolical_-_Title_Announce_-_Still_thum

DIABOLICAL_Horizontal_KA_thumb1.JPG
Diabolical_Key_Art_Full_thumb.JPG

From some of the most unhinged and maniacal minds in Hollywood today comes The Boys Presents: Diabolical, a collection of eight irreverent and emotionally shocking animated short films. Each story follows a particular individuals whose lives are impacted by Compound V, the Vought Industries-developed serum that gives superpowers to anyone who uses it.

Giancarlo Volpe serves as the supervising director.

Laser Baby’s Day Out
DIABOLICAL_S1_FG_LaserBaby_00021802_Stil
the-boys-presents-diabolical-review-baby
About a a scientist and a super-powered baby who has laser eyes, marked for extermination by Vought.

Writers: Evan Goldberg & Seth Rogen
Directors: Crystal Chesney-Thompson and Derek Thompson
music by Animaniacs composers Julie and Steven Bernstein.
Animation Style: Inspired by classic American animated shorts.

An Animated Short Where Pissed-Off Supes Kill Their Parents
DIABOLICAL_S1_FG_PissedOffKids_00021809_
A group of supes in a foster home seek revenge on the parents who abandoned them.

Writers: Justin Roiland & Ben Bayouth
Director: Parker Simmons
Animation Style: Inspired by Justin Roiland’s aesthetic.

Justin Roiland
Christian Slater  (The Narrator)
Human Tongue
Ranch Dressing Cum Squirter
Ghost Girl
Picante Balls

I'm Your Pusher
DIABOLICAL_S1_FG_Pusher_00051609_Still06
tbd-1.jpg
The-Boys-Presents-Diabolical-2.jpg
word-image-355.jpeg

Billy Butcher has a drug dealer alter a drug shipment to an up-and-coming superhero. 

Writer: Garth Ennis
Director: Giancarlo Volpe
Animation Style: An homage to the original The Boys comics drawn by Darick Robertson.

Simon Pegg as Hughie Campbell (from the Comic Book, not the TV Series)
Dominique McElligott (Queen Maeve)   
Great Wide Wonder
Jason Isaacs (Butcher) 
Frenchie 
Jack From Jupiter
Antony Starr  (Homelander) 

Boyd in 3D
DIABOLICAL_S1_FG_Boyd3D_00071619_Still08

Instead of getting powers, a young, image-obsessed couple get their hands on some experimental Vought face cream that changes their physical appearances to whatever their hearts desire.

Writer: Eliot Glazer
Story by: Eliot Glazer and his sister, Ilana Glazer
Director: Naz Ghodrati-Azadi  
Animation Style: Inspired by French comics and animation.

BFFs
DIABOLICAL_S1_FG_BFFs_00090503_Still107_

A girl who has toxic friends finds her BFF in a talking piece of poop.

Writer: Awkwafina
Director: Madeleine Flores
Animation Style: Inspired by Saturday morning animation imports.

Awkwafina    (Sky)
Chace Crawford (The Deep) 

Nubian vs Nubian
DIABOLICAL_S1_FG_Nubian_00020512_Still04

A superhero couple and their daughter come to terms with an impending divorce.

Writer: Aisha Tyler
Director: Matthew Bordenave
Animation Style: Anime inspired

Aisha Tyler     (Nubia)
Don Cheadle     (Gerald Nubian)
Somali Rose      (Maya)
John DiMaggio  (Ground Hawk)

John and Sun-Hee
DIABOLICAL_S1_FG_JohnSuhNee_00050523_Sti

An older woman, Sun-Hee obtains superpowers after her husband, John, a Vought janitor, injects Compound-V into his dying wife's IV drip to slow down the progression her of a deadly cancer. 

Writer: Andy Samberg
Director: Steve Ahn
Animation Style: Inspired by Korean drama and horror.

Youn Yuh-jung  (Sun-Hee)

One Plus One Equals Two
DIABOLICAL_S1_FG_OnePlusOne_00112722_Sti
Screen-Shot-2022-02-16-at-9.18.34-AM.png
word-image-353.jpeg

Tells the story of how Homelander was first inducted into the Seven.

Writer: Simon Racioppa
Directors: Jae Kim and Giancarlo Volpe
Animation Style: A darker take on American superhero animation.

Antony Starr  (Homelander) 
Elisabeth Shue  (Madelyn Stillwell, vice-president of Vought International)
Giancarlo Esposito  (Stan Edgar, CEO of Vought) 

additional voice cast: 
Colby Minifie  (Ashley Barrett)
Claudia Doumit  (Supe-congresswoman Victoria Neuman) 
Michael Cera, Kieran Culkin, Eliot Glazer, Kumail Nanjiani, Seth Rogen, Andy Samberg, Ben Schwartz, Kevin Smith, Nasim Pedrad, Kenan Thompson, Kimberly Brooks, Nicole Byer, Frances Conroy, Asjha Cooper, Chris Diamantopolous, Jermaine Fowler, Emily Gordon, Grey Griffin, Randall Duk Kim, David Marciano, Xolo Maridueña, Caleb McLaughlin, Eugene Mirman, Retta, Kevin Michael Richardson, Parker Simmons, Ursula Taherian, Fred Tatasciore, Sean Patrick Thomas, Angela Marie Volpe, Gary Antony Williams, and Jenny Yokobori.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I don't think putting laser baby as the first episode was a good idea. It gave the wrong impression and I was about to turn that whole thing off. I think it would have been better as a fun interlude somewhere in the middle.

All the other ones were really good.

It's a bit unclear in what continuity these were set though. Which is kinda important since in the comics everybody can just chuck some V and get temporary super powers. In the show most adults will explode and only babies can tolerate it reliably.

From what I gather "I'm Your Pusher" was set in comic book continuity, which explains Simon Pegg as Hughie and Jason Isaacs as Butcher and "One Plus One Equals Two" was set in the show canon, since those were the voices of the actors on the show and Black Noir was on the team long before Homelander.

With the others, it's really not clear. We have two episodes where adults survive being given V, one where somebodies head explodes, like you'd expect and three where nobody is given V. But even the ones where people are given V it's entirely clear one way or the other.

As far as my favourite goes, I think it has to be the Rick and Morty one. Their humour just gets me. I have to say though, half the powers weren't even that useless. I mean especially Flashback. He would be amazing for getting information out of criminals, terrorists, spys, etc. Just flash back to the relevant parts of their lives. Ghost girl would probably be a good Spy. There were even a few physically strong ones in there.

Poop girl is something Awkwafina would come up with. That is totally on brand. It was kinda funny, but I couldn't get the thought out of my head how her room must smell.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 2

Binged them all in about an hour or so.

• The kids killing their parents was good, but useless supes have been done better (see Section 8 or the Civic Minded Five from The Tick)
  • Why did Areola have a butthole?
  • Aisha Tyler's ep was well-written
  • And here I thought Homelander became a douche over time

Watching this before I pick up season 3 later on.

Most of the episodes are rather mediocre, forgettable, or just downright flawed. I just finished John and Sun-Hee though, and that's the only one I really liked, but a literal mass of cancer tumor was rather on the nose. Oh well. The episode's touching. Elfen Lied meets Akira.

Edited by MagnusHex