Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: The Hope That Kills You

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I'm sorry; I know this is such a minor thing, but: we know that Ms. Shipley lives upstairs because she bangs on her floor/Ted's ceiling whenever Ted is making too much noise in his apartment. When Nate tells Ted that beating Manchester City is "hopeless," Ted runs upstairs to get the "believe" sign off his bathroom mirror. Are apartments in the UK that are more than one story built staggered in such a way that it's possible for Ted to go up a flight of stairs to the second floor of his apartment but that Ms. Shipley could bang on her floor and have that be right over Ted's living/sitting room ceiling? (I know that frequently interior and exteriors don't always line up, but this just seems to be noticeably odd.) I first noticed because it's unusual (and neat) to see a multi-story apartment somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2021 at 1:45 PM, Turtle Wexler said:

I'm sorry; I know this is such a minor thing, but: we know that Ms. Shipley lives upstairs because she bangs on her floor/Ted's ceiling whenever Ted is making too much noise in his apartment. When Nate tells Ted that beating Manchester City is "hopeless," Ted runs upstairs to get the "believe" sign off his bathroom mirror. Are apartments in the UK that are more than one story built staggered in such a way that it's possible for Ted to go up a flight of stairs to the second floor of his apartment but that Ms. Shipley could bang on her floor and have that be right over Ted's living/sitting room ceiling? (I know that frequently interior and exteriors don't always line up, but this just seems to be noticeably odd.) I first noticed because it's unusual (and neat) to see a multi-story apartment somewhere.

When I was looking to buy a home a few years ago, a lot of the condos in my area were converted out of multifamily homes. One style I saw a couple times in one area was called "Philadelphia" where it's a duplex (lower unit and upper unit) but both units had interior stairs and a second floor. The second floor usually only had 1 bedroom and was quite small. So it's possible that the lower floor of the upper unit was above part of the lower floor of the lower unit. If that makes sense. Maybe Ted's in something like that?

• Love 2

Rewatching this and people have mentioned re: Nate being a bully that he calls Rebecca a shrew in this episode. He also randomly insults Colin when Ted asks Nate if he knows why Nate’s new whistle is sad:  because it hasn’t been blown. Nate of course asks if that’s the same reason that Colin is sad.  It’s weird and gross and cruel, and makes no sense as a joke in the first place. (Colin isn’t known for being sad so the “joke” isn’t even rooted in something that everyone would “get.”) 

• Like 1
  • Love 6