Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Groot - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A listing on the Marvel Studios Japan website suggests that I Am Groot could be released in the summer of 2022 on Disney+...

Official Marvel Site May Confirm Four Disney+ Shows in Summer 2022
By ADAM BARNHARDT - January 15, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-site-confirms-four-shows-release-schedule-summer-2022/ 

This summer might get pretty busy for fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. A new listing discovered on the official website for Marvel Studios Japan suggests at least three shows could release between Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on May 4th (when it opens in Japan), and Thor: Love and Thunder, which currently has a July release date. She-Hulk, I Am Groot, and What If...? Season Two are all listed between the aforementioned blockbusters.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-15-at-4.36.30-PM.png 

• Love 1

When I Am Groot Takes Place in MCU Timeline Revealed
By BRANDON DAVIS - July 28, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/i-am-groot-guardians-2-mcu-timeline/ 

"It's a narrow window, right? It takes place actually between the end of Guardians 2 and before the tag scene in Guardians 2. So, it's in this narrow window where Groot in that kind of post toddler stage of development," Marvel Studios Head of Streaming Brad Winderbaum told ComicBook.com in an exclusive interview. "And it was something that really excited, James [Gunn] and also, James also knew Kirsten's work and was excited about working with her as well." The full interview with Winderbaum and I Am Groot's writer, director, and executive producer Kirsten Lepore is available on the Phase Zero channel.

Disney Reveals What Happens In All 5 'I Am Groot' Episodes
By Russ Milheim    August 1, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/disney-i-am-groot-episodes-spoilers 

Disney published an official press release for its upcoming Marvel Studios animated collection of shorts, I Am Groot, that included a plot synopsis for each installment, alongside comments on each from Kristen Lepore, the show’s director.

Spoiler

The first short is titled ‘Groot’s First Steps’, and sees Groot “try [to take] his first steps out of his pot:”

“Baby Groot discovers he’s not the only plant being pampered aboard his spaceship. A happy accident convinces Groot to try taking his first steps out of his pot—only to learn you have to walk before you can run.”
Episode 2 is titled, ‘The Little Guy’, as “Groot accidentally uncovers a civilization of miniature blue aliens” called the Grunds:

“It’s hard to be the little guy, but when Baby Groot accidentally uncovers a civilization of miniature blue aliens, the tables are turned. At first intimidated by the seemingly enormous tree toddler, the Grunds soon discover he’s the hero they’ve been waiting for.”
Third up is ‘Groot’s Pursuit’. This short follows Groot as he “investigates a spooky noise that’s been haunting the Quadrant,” a hunt that culminates in “a dance-off:”

“Baby Groot investigates a spooky noise that’s been haunting the Quadrant, the massive Ravager ship that he calls home. In doing so, he comes face-to-face with Iwua, an intelligent, shapeshifting alien who assumes his form. The best way to resolve who actually is Groot: a dance-off."
Fourth is ‘Groot Takes a Bath’, which showcases Groot’s fancy new bath concoction leading to some “epic leaf growth” across his body:

“Everybody needs some alone time to relax and wash up, but things go quite differently when you’re a Flora Colossi toddler. When Groot’s bath concoction results in epic leaf growth, he takes his haircut into his own hands and gets inventive with styling.”
Last up is ‘Magnum Opus’, where “Groot sets out to paint a family portrait of himself and the Guardians:”

“Groot sets out to paint a family portrait of himself and the Guardians, and goes to great lengths to collect art supplies and forge his masterpiece. Rocket stumbles upon Groot’s efforts and quickly discovers just how messy—and disastrous—the artistic process can be.”
Bradley Cooper’s Rocket Raccoon also makes a short appearance in this final episode. Lepore mentioned how the character “can be a bit of a scolding parent but also a buddy with a soft heart when it comes to Groot.”

Edited by tv echo

How Marvel Studios Is Branching Out with I Am Groot
By Zach Johnson  AUGUST 2, 2022
https://d23.com/how-marvel-studios-is-branching-out-with-i-am-groot/ 

“We were really excited to have the freedom to examine Groot’s childhood and drop in at different points in that timeline,” [writer/director Kirsten] Lepore tells D23. “It’s set between the end of Guardians of the Galaxy all the way to the post-credits of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, so there was a lot for us to play with in that time frame, which we hadn’t seen before this.” Each I Am Groot short was inspired by “the things most kids get into,” she explains, ranging from bath time to dress-up. The trick was “putting a great spin on it.”
“We wanted to bring Baby Groot back to the screen for a long time—since Guardians 2,” [executive producer Brad] Winderbaum tells D23. “But in the [subsequent] films, he’s grown up, like a tree does. But there’s that period of time where he’s just a kid, and that always seemed exciting to explore. For us, the question was: How—and in what way? Something that we’re striving to do at Marvel in general, but particularly on the animation side, is find ways to tell new stories and to push the frontier of things—to use different media or different styles of animation, dictated by the type of story we’re telling. So, early on, when Kevin [Feige] and I were batting around Baby Groot concepts, we started thinking about the early cartoons that were made by Disney Animation—those early Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck cartoons, the ones that I remember watching as a kid, dating back to the ‘20s, ‘30s, and ‘40s. In thinking about directors who could bring that short-form situational humor to the screen, Kirsten very quickly became the only choice because of how much she’s excelled in that in her past work.”
And, according to Lepore, the possibilities for I Am Groot storytelling are unlimited. “It’s just so fun getting to know him,” she explains. “Even if it’s just three minutes, we learn so much by seeing him in these different scenarios. We learn so much about his character and how he behaves. I know that a lot of people really love Baby Groot, so I’m excited to give them more and help them get to know this guy a little bit better.”

The fun will continue even after I Am Groot debuts on Disney+, as Marvel Studios recently announced that a second collection of five shorts are in the works. “I can’t give away any of the details,” Lepore admits, “but they are all super fun and in the same spirit as the first collection. You’ll get to see Groot in a lot of different, exciting scenarios!”

i_am_groot_digital_keyart_po_v3_lg_883a6

I Am Groot             August 10, 2022         Disney+

Episodes 1-5      Titles and Descriptions

FZwPyYZUIAA8Oq4.jpg

S01.E01: Short 1: Groot’s First Steps
MV5BZjc3MTY2YjMtNGE2OS00OGRhLWE5NDctODdk

Following the events of "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1," Baby Groot is finally ready to try taking his first steps out of his pot—only to learn you have to walk before you can run.

FZwP0dSUsAAam8W.jpgS01.E02: Short 2: The Little Guy
i-am-groot-1140x560.jpeg

Groot accidentally uncovers a civilization that believes the seemingly enormous tree toddler is the hero they’ve been waiting for.

FZwP2FxUsAEylM2.jpg

S01.E03: Short 3: Groot’s Pursuit
103_gdo1080_comp_v002_d7d33124.jpeg

Groot investigates a spooky noise that’s been haunting the Quadrant, which leads to an intense dance-off.

FZwP95IVsAAjk9j.jpg

S01.E04: Short 4: Groot Takes a Bath
I-Am-Groot-4k-Trailer-a-bush.jpg

Everybody needs some alone time to relax and wash up, but things go quite differently when you’re a Flora Colossi toddler. His attempts at using bath toys, candles, and bath bombs ultimately lead to a leafy mess of epic proportions. And after his leaves grow to bushy-like proportions, Groot decides to take his haircut into his own hands and get a little inventive with his new hairdo.

FZwP_3lVsAEWcim.jpg

S01.E05: Short 5: Magnum Opus
MV5BMzM4YTcwYzYtNTQ0NC00YmU2LWFkZTItOWM4

Groot sets out to paint a family portrait of himself and the Guardians, only to discover just how messy the artistic process can be.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2

‘I Am Groot’ Creators on the Short Series’ Connection to the MCU and Baby Groot vs. Baby Yoda Debate
By Wilson Chapman    August 10, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/i-am-groot-creators-marvel-cinematic-universe-1235331672/ 

Ahead of the premiere, writer and director Kirsten Lepore and head of streaming for Marvel Studios Brad Winderbaum spoke to Variety about developing the shorts, building Baby Groot’s misadventures and how he compares to other famous babies of the Disney+ world.
The shorts keep the other Guardians mostly off screen, or in the background. Why’d you make that choice and is that something that could change in the future of the show?
Lepore
: Part of the fun that we discovered, even in the early storyboard process, is we really just want to watch Baby Groot. He’s just so fun and so magnetic that we wanted to make sure that he was really the focus. Occasionally, you’ll get Drax in the shower, you’ll get some shadow on the wall, you’ll get a little bit of Rocket to reinforce that we’re in that world. And that particular scene is really fun, to see Rocket’s relationship with Groot and that dynamic. But for the most part, we really enjoy having the focus being Groot and just getting to know his character better.
How’d you develop the new aliens we see in the series, like the tiny blue creatures Groot finds under a rock? Do they all have names?
Lepore
: Those were all super fun to develop. The little tiny blue creatures are called Grunds, and those are really near and dear to my heart because they’re just my natural design sense, where they’re super simplistic. Two dot eyes and a mouth, basically, and very cute and expressive even though they’re very simple. So those were a lot of fun to design. The watery shapeshifting character’s name is Ewa, and then we created this squirrel-like character named Snoot Pin Bongo. He was very inspired by Salacious Crumb from “Star Wars.” And I loved how annoying and over the top he was.
Brad, this show is of course connected to the MCU via the “Guardians” films; will the other upcoming animated series have similar connections?
Winderbaum
: I think what’s amazing about the Multiverse Saga in particular is that you can go down so many more roads. We’ve experimented at the studio for a long time about telling stories that take place in a linear fashion, but also going back in time, and being able to show how the MCU can blossom in the past. But what the multiverse does, it allows us to look at alternate paths and other takes on the characters, which is, of course, what happens in the comic books as different artists, different writers, different storytellers work with characters. You see them expanding and growing in unforeseen, unexpected ways. And that’s something that is our guiding light as we make more animated projects.

Final question, and the most important one: who would win in a fight, Baby Groot or Baby Yoda?
Lepore
: Oh Baby Groot, for sure. He’s a fighter.

Winderbaum: And he’ll fight dirty too.

Dance Off | Marvel Studios' I Am Groot | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Aug 10, 2022

If you've already watched the official trailer (posted above on Aug. 6), then nothing new is spoiled...

What to Expect From Season 2 of I Am Groot
By Emily Hewitt   September 1, 2023
https://d23.com/what-to-expect-from-season-2-of-i-am-groot/ 

What trouble is Baby Groot getting into now? As Season 2 of I Am Groot premieres on September 6, D23 sat down with Kirsten Lepore, writer, director, and executive producer of I Am Groot, to discuss what’s in store for the mischievous twig.

In Season 1, audiences saw Groot burst out of his planter, learn how to walk and talk, and go on adventures. Groot was the human equivalent of around 5 years old through the first series of shorts; now he is about 6 or 7 in human years, Lepore said.

“He’s definitely got the same childlike essence,” she promised. “In the first episode, he gets a taste of parenting, so he’s growing and learning in that way. As with all kids, you still have moments where they act like a tiny toddler, and then you have moments where they’re wise beyond their years.”
... Gunn’s best nuggets of wisdom about Groot were that he is a “bad baby” and an “emoji guy.”

“He has a very simple face, and all he has to do is strike a pose and you understand that face—like what an emoji is,” Lepore said.

... The goal for Season 2 was to make it even more specific and personal, allowing audiences to relate even more to Groot’s universal childlike essence.

“For example, the ice cream truck episode [in Season 2], at least for me, ripped a page out of my childhood,” Lepore said about Episode 4 when Groot frantically scours the spaceship for coins as an intergalactic ice cream truck approaches. “It’s so relatable.”

Early on, Lepore and her team came up with about 30 one- to two-sentence loglines for stories, and from those, the executives chose five to develop into the shorts of Season 2. She snuck a logline into the pile in which Groot gets an actual, functioning nose—she thought it was so ridiculous that the executives would never go for it. Lo and behold, it is now Episode 2 of Season 2.
One episode that really developed from a small idea into a fleshed-out concept was the snow day episode of Season 2. It started out with Groot just playing in a snowsuit. Along the way, an antagonist snowman was born, and the plot coalesced.

Edited by tv echo