Type keyword(s) to search

Home Fires, A Woman’s War, and A Woman’s Courage

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I’m starting this thread to discuss the books that continue the story that began in the series Home Fires. The series ended with a lot of loose ends and cliffhangers, so I was happy to learn about the books. I’ve read two of them; Home Fires (Keep the Home Fires Burning) is in four parts with chapters within the parts. A Woman’s War is in chapters. Both have a map of Great Paxford, which helped me visualize the area better. I just purchased the third one, A Woman’s Courage, but haven’t started it yet. I’m reading these on kindle.

The story lines are wrapping up nicely. While I’d have preferred it to have happened sooner, despicable Bob got his just reward by the end.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 4

Thank you so much for starting this!  I have read the first two books, and didn't know that the third book had come out.  Ordering it today!

55 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

The story lines are wrapping up nicely. While I’d have preferred it to have happened sooner, despicable Bob got his just reward by the end.

Yes, loved the way Bob and Pat's story was resolved.  Looking forward to reading more...

• Love 2

I have ordered the book,  I decided to re-watch the TV series and read the first two books before reading the new one.  

What's the rule on spoilers?  Can we talk about what happens in the book, or do we have to use spoilers?

Thanks.

I am enjoying starting from the beginning with the DVDs.  Bob's abuse of Pat is always so disturbing; unfortunately that was not unusual for those times.   If a man was beating his wife, it must be her fault, and the wife was ashamed of her situation and didn't want anyone to know.    Thank heavens this has (for the most part) changed.

Just to be safe, I will spoiler the rest of my post, as it is a huge one:

Spoiler

The ending of the second book was very satisfying.  He died because he slipped on a rug as he was lunging at Pat to beat her to a pulp.  Not only did Bob die, but Pat got to stand there and watch him die - and then walk off to her WI meeting.

I am eager to read the next book and see how Bob's death is handled.

• Love 2
On 6/30/2021 at 1:41 PM, treeofdreams said:

Thanks.

I am enjoying starting from the beginning with the DVDs.  Bob's abuse of Pat is always so disturbing; unfortunately that was not unusual for those times.   If a man was beating his wife, it must be her fault, and the wife was ashamed of her situation and didn't want anyone to know.    Thank heavens this has (for the most part) changed.

Just to be safe, I will spoiler the rest of my post, as it is a huge one:

Reveal spoiler

The ending of the second book was very satisfying.  He died because he slipped on a rug as he was lunging at Pat to beat her to a pulp.  Not only did Bob die, but Pat got to stand there and watch him die - and then walk off to her WI meeting.

I am eager to read the next book and see how Bob's death is handled.

I agree, very satisfying. In the third book, it is being handled well. Combination of relief, guilt, etc. So many widows in that village! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I originally wanted to finish watching the DVDs and re-reading the first two books before reading the new one, but I suspect I will cheat as soon as I receive the new book and read the beginning just to follow the Bob/Pat storyline.

I have no self-discipline.  :)

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1

I finally received my copy of the book after it sat in Secaucus for a couple of weeks.  I did skim the first few pages to see how it addressed Bob's death, but was disappointed that it skipped ahead to the funeral.  I had hoped for some storyline about finding him and people's reactions to his death.  Maybe they will go back to some of that later, but I think I will finish the first two books first.

(edited)

I forgot where I’d put this thread! I posted the following in the Home Fires thread:
I just finished the third book, A Woman’s Courage. I enjoyed all three books. The happy endings were somewhat predictable, but different enough that I appreciated them, and not everyone got the best outcome. I want to visit this village, fictional though it may be!

Edited by zoey1996

There you are!  I thought you had abandoned me.  :)

I am currently about halfway through the second book, and looking forward to the new one.

Did the third book sound like it was the last one?  In the afterward of book one the author said something about writing "at least three books".  I wouldn't mind spending more time in in this village as well!

• Love 1
On 6/25/2021 at 3:37 PM, zoey1996 said:

I’m starting this thread to discuss the books that continue the story that began in the series Home Fires.

Thank you for starting this thread- I had no idea these books existed! I watched Home Fires during its original run and was so disappointed when it was cancelled. And then I randomly decided to watch it again a few weeks ago, so it's been on my mind. The theme music always gives me chills! I was having a hard time figuring our which order the books are in, but I bought the first one (I think) and will get it this weekend. Am I correct in thinking that the first book is divided four parts, which were originally released as separate ebooks? I very excited to start reading them.

5 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Am I correct in thinking that the first book is divided four parts, which were originally released as separate ebooks? I very excited to start reading them.

Not sure that's correct, but the sequence for the three titles is Home Fires (in four parts), A Woman’s War, and A Woman’s Courage.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:52 PM, treeofdreams said:

Did the third book sound like it was the last one?

It wrapped things up nicely, but of course the stories could be continued. Following various characters as their lives in the village and beyond developed would make for good reading, IMHO.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Am I correct in thinking that the first book is divided four parts, which were originally released as separate ebooks? I very excited to start reading them.

Yes, that is correct.

3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:
On 7/20/2021 at 10:52 AM, treeofdreams said:

Did the third book sound like it was the last one?

It wrapped things up nicely, but of course the stories could be continued. Following various characters as their lives in the village and beyond developed would make for good reading, IMHO.

I suppose it might depend on how the books sell.  I hope it does continue.

I have just finished the second book and am about to start the third.  Looking forward to it!

• Love 3

So happy to find this!  I have read all of the books and am fairly satisfied with how things have turned out.  So far, that is.  I'm hoping for more but that may not happen.  I was pleased that Spencer and Claire were finally mentioned in the last book; I had been wondering about them. I was surprised that "the vamp" (sorry, I cannot remember her name) grew up and became such a good person. Will she attend WI meetings do you think?

• Love 1
On 7/25/2021 at 4:52 AM, Gizkok said:

"the vamp" (sorry, I cannot remember her name)

Jenny Marshall.  It was a surprising transformation.  I guess that's what falling in love can do for a person.

I can see how this book could be an ending, but there are still stories that could be told.

Spoiler

Allison and John are gone from Great Paxton, as is Pat, but the characters that are left still have a lot of material in them.  The third book didn't give much to Claire, Joyce or Frances, or Steph, Laura or Kate.  I would love to see more about Joyce and Francis, especially, as they are two of my very favorite actresses.  There is a lot more to tell about Teresa and Annie, as well as about Adam and Sarah, and Jenny and David, and Noah and Frances.  The other characters could have more storylines too.

I hope that the series continues on.

• Love 3