Type keyword(s) to search

Run The World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"Run the World is the story of a group of Black women – vibrant, fiercely loyal best friends – who work, live and play in Harlem as they strive for world domination. At its core, it's an unapologetically female show about enviable friendship and not only surviving – but thriving together."

With Yvette Lee Bowser on board I just knew it was going to be great.

• Love 1

I thought the first two episodes were great. I like that these characters don't remind me of Sex and the City or Living Single or Girlfriends. It exists in it's own universe.

• Love 2
(edited)

I love the first 3 episodes, I love the music, the storylines and the characters. All of the characters are so relatable.

Ella is relatable with not being as far as you want in your career- I feel like a lot of shows show all these people in their late 20s and early 30s that have everything together and have an unusual level of clout (yes, Younger I'm looking at you lol) but this shows that for a lot of people that is not always the case.

Also Sondi who is a doctoral student is also relatable because some people are still in school at 31, 32 getting their PhD's. Even if you go straight through- 18-22 undergrad, 22-25- grad school, 25-31- PhD- you won't really finish until you're in your 30s. 

Renee's husband is having a 30's life crisis, and irresponsibly spent all of their money and now she's going through a divorce (that's realistic because marrying young increases the chances you'll get a divorce because you're both still growing and figuring out who you are and what you want to do. 

Whitney is getting real FOMO when it comes dating, and regrets not dating other people, and seeing what else is out there.- I think Ola is great and I hate that Whitney cheated but I understand her because I know people like her. People who fall in love at 19 and are with their college sweetheart for 10, 11 years and by the time they hit 30 they think they missed out on dating other people, and start to question their choices when it comes to relationships. 

I love that the show is showing these relatable layered Black women and showing from their perspectives how life is for them. 

On 5/26/2021 at 3:06 AM, Adgirl said:

I thought the first two episodes were great. I like that these characters don't remind me of Sex and the City or Living Single or Girlfriends. It exists in it's own universe.

Agreed. They are in their own world and show a relevant 2021 world that so many of us are living in. 

Edited by bluemoonstars
  • Love 3

I really loved the episode this week. I love that they're filming the show in Harlem and actually got to spots in Harlem like the Malcolm Shabazz Harlem Market, and Yatenga. I also love Sondi's entire look this episode 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• Love 1

I loved the episode last week. It was really interesting to see all of them in therapy(although I would have preferred it if they were seeing a black therapist) and seeing them trying to process the struggles that they are having. 

• Love 1

This show was so good! I wish it was getting the kind of non-stop buzz that the silly Sex and the City reboot is getting. I know this was plugged as the season finale, has Starz confirmed that it has been renewed? I know that Amber Stevens West recently announced that she was expecting baby two - I really need more of this show, it better be renewed and I hope the magic continues. This first season was practically perfect. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

This show was so good! I wish it was getting the kind of non-stop buzz that the silly Sex and the City reboot is getting. I know this was plugged as the season finale, has Starz confirmed that it has been renewed? I know that Amber Stevens West recently announced that she was expecting baby two - I really need more of this show, it better be renewed and I hope the magic continues. This first season was practically perfect. 

I agree. I feel like this show didn't get a lot of promotion and I would love if Black twitter picked up on the show or something- something to get it more traction. It's a show about Black women by Black women- we only have a hand full of shows like that. 

• Love 3