Type keyword(s) to search

Ragdoll in the Media

• Start Topic

‘Ragdoll’: Henry Lloyd-Hughes & Thalissa Teixeira Join Lucy Hale In AMC Crime Drama Series

Adapted for television by Freddy Syborn from the novel by Daniel Cole, the six-part Ragdoll is described as a modern-day Faustian thriller. It revolves around the murder of six people whose bodies have been dismembered and sewn into the shape of one grotesque body — nicknamed “The Ragdoll.”

Assigned to the shocking case are DS Nathan Rose (Lloyd-Hughes), recently reinstated to the London Met; his best friend and boss, DI Emily Baxter (Teixeira); and the unit’s new recruit, DC Lake Edmunds (Hale). The “Ragdoll Killer” taunts the police by sending them a list of his next victims, with Rose’s name at the very end. With the victims to protect, our heroes soon come under intense public scrutiny. A gruesomely imaginative serial-killer thriller, Ragdoll also captures the fascinating but flawed friends struggling with the consequences of institutionalization and trauma.

An exclusive look at 47 of fall 2021's new and returning shows

Ragdoll      Nov. 11       AMC+

RD_730348.jpg

There's nothing pretty or little about what's haunting Lucy Hale in Ragdoll. The six-episode thriller stars the Pretty Little Liars alum as a "fish-out-of-water" American detective constable, Lake Edmunds, working a gruesome case in London where six murder victims have been dismembered and sewn into one grotesque body nicknamed the Ragdoll.

"I feel like I've been preparing my whole life for this role because I love true crime," Hale says of taking on the "disturbing" project that combines dry British humor with dark drama. "If I'm being honest, I didn't think I had a shot at it because this is really different for me. But I knew that I could do it. I had to fight for it." If "A" could see her now. —Sydney Bucksbaum

Ragdoll is a six episode serial killer thriller series based upon the novel of the same name by Daniel Cole. The series follows the murder of six people who have been dismembered and sewn into the shape of a grotesque body, "The Ragdoll". As detectives begin to investigate, the killer begins to taunt them. Premieres Thursday, Nov. 11.

From the award-winning producers of Killing Eve comes a new AMC+ Original series. Six people have been murdered, dismembered and sewn into the shape of one grotesque body — nicknamed the ‘Ragdoll.’ Assigned to this shocking case are newly-reinstated DS Nathan Rose (Henry Lloyd-Hughes); his best friend and boss, DI Emily Baxter (Thalissa Teixeira); and the unit’s new recruit, DC Lake Edmunds (Lucy Hale). The ‘Ragdoll Killer’ taunts the police by sending them a list of his next victims, with Rose’s name at the very end. And with those victims to protect, our heroes soon come under intense public scrutiny. A gruesomely imaginative serial killer thriller, Ragdoll captures the fascinating but flawed friends struggling with the consequences of institutionalization and trauma. Executive produced and commissioned by AMC and UKTV’s Alibi, and executive produced by Sid Gentle Films Ltd. (Killing Eve), with Freddy Syborn (Ms. Marvel, Bad Education) as lead writer and executive producer.

Ragdoll_KA_2000x3000_F.jpg

RAG_Group_486_SR.40.75-RT.jpg

E9ABlG-WQAQjlhy.jpg

E9ABiyLXMAYTjQ1.jpg

E9ABix5WEAI1TJC.jpg

E9ABiyBWYAIceyu.jpg

RAGDOLL_103_LV_0516_0038_RT.jpg

RAGDOLL_101_LV_0511_0012-RT.jpg

Roush Review: A Gruesome ‘Ragdoll’ for Adults Only

This feverish freak show, with episodes streaming weekly on AMC+, marinates in gallows humor so as not to scream its bloody head off. (The series shares executive-producer DNA with Killing Eve, and it shows.) Not for the squeamish, or for those who object to the diabolically improbable, Ragdoll teases the sort of ghoulish mastermind who’d be right neighborly with Hannibal Lecter.

Ragdoll: AMC+'s Crime Series Struggles to Blend Gruesome Thrills with British Wit

While the comedy of the series doesn’t work most of the time, Ragdoll’s investigation into its ruthless killer will likely be intriguing enough to keep viewers engaged. The methods of killing are entertaining and unique, and even when given a list of names of those promised to be killed, the results are still surprising.

AMC+’s ‘Ragdoll’: TV Review

It’s one of those head-scratching things where, after watching three episodes of Ragdoll, I’m truly not sure if Freddy Syborn (Killing Eve), adapting Ragdoll from the novel of the same name by Daniel Cole, recognizes that he’s making a metaphor rather than a TV show. There’s no question that the Ragdoll Killer has a particularly creepy methodology, nor that Ragdoll as a TV series has enough unnerving moments to satisfy impressionable devotees of the genre. At the same time, impressionable devotees of the genre are the ones most likely to recognize that the show is, itself, a patchwork of far more than six familiar serial killer movies and TV shows. Its only original aspect is the often chaotic stitching together of the familiar elements.

On 2/4/2022 at 9:54 PM, AnimeMania said:

If you don't have AMC+, Ragdoll is coming to AMC Monday, February 28 at 10pm ET/PT.

This was great for two weeks, but broadcast has now moved to latenight (approx. 1:00AM Tuesdays)