Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E15: Lena Dunham/The National 2014.03.08

• Start Topic

It'll be very interesting to see what she can bring to it. Tiny Furniture and Girls are very similar so it'll be a bit out of her comfort zone, she has no acting, sketch or stand up background either. Quite a challenge. She is IMO a genius writer though and a kind of adorable public persona so I expect at least a good monologue and a couple of good sketches.

I didn't watch this live (watched it just now on Hulu instead), which turned out to be my benefit, as I fast-forwarded through the Vanessa Bayer-Fred Armisen Best Friends of Putin Weekend Update bit, as it was, in my opinion, the low point of the evening (or at least the part that caused me to use the fast-forward portion of the Roku remote). (Also, is it just me, or did that bit scream "Tried to get Kristen Wiig too, but she totally declined"?)

After last week's episode, anything could be better, and it was, but not by a whole lot, in my opinion. And the celebrity cameos wouldn't annoy me so much if half the cast barely even got screen time from week to week to begin with.

As for The National...they were OK. Is it just me, or does the lead singer totally resemble Rupert Holmes (singer of Escape [The Pina Colada Song]) circa 1979?

I will admit, though...that Rand Paul Lemming joke was rather spot-on.

I really liked this episode. Didn't really feel any sketches bombed and quite a few had some nice original humour in them. Tarams McConaughey impression was the best though. And the Scandal spoof was spot on. Sasheers Olivia Pope mouth was brilliant.