Type keyword(s) to search

Batman: The Animated Series - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2x17: Lock-Up

With this season that focused on villain reform and Batman's display of compassion for his rogues, it's little surprise that we would reach a point where the antithesis of this theme appears, with someone finally calling out the appalling rate of repeated offenders. Of course, with Batman, things are rarely so black and white, and this argument of authoritarianism is countered by Batman, whose own methods have also been questioned. The last few episodes have already shown that Bruce is more than happy if his villains become ordinary mundane citizens again, so this episode might be beating a dead horse, but I feel like the lack of subtlety in Lock-Up's point (and his edgy '90s costume) is necessary to further reinforce Batman's true goal of making Gotham a better place for everyone, his villains included.

The only weak point of the episode might be Lock-Up. He's a one-dimensional plot-device serving the singular purpose of debating with Batman on villain reform, but nothing else. His costume looks goofy af too. But honestly, I didn't even notice these flaws till after I finished the episode, so they're obviously not glaring enough.

4/5

Edited by MagnusHex

Finally able to watch the special interview on the 4K. It was great to see George Newbern, Michael Rosenbaum, and Dana Delaney. But I will admit I was disappointed at who wasn’t interviewed: Alan Burnett, Mark Hamill, Loren Lester, Adrienne Barbeau, Susan Eisenberg, Tim Daly, Clancy Brown, Tara Strong. Melissa Benoist had a few lines. But seeing her just made me go, huh?

But damn! Those early pictures? Such a beautiful and gorgeous man. 

I 😭😭😭 like I knew I would.

Watching Mask of the Phantasm now.

I'm finally able to watch not just this show, but also Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, and the various home movies with Kevin as Bats.

It was so hard, but then I got lost in the shows/movies. And then, in Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, I rewatched the extended interview with Kevin, Greg Noveck, Andrea Romano, and Bruce Timm, and the end had me bawling again.😭😭

Greg was talking about how in 30 years (this was in 2009), how this show would be the classic, and how Kevin's portrayal set the standard, and they would all be crotchety old men, laughing about it.  Who knew we would lose Kevin within the next decade or so?😭

I always love to hear Greg's anecdotes where fans, at cons or online, would always ask if/when Kevin Conroy would play Bats. "Is Kevin going to play Wonder Woman? Is Kevin going to play Green Lantern?"🤣😅

God. I miss him. And I didn't even KNOW him. And then I watched JL:Doom and the vignette tribute to Dwayne McDuffie and I was bawling all over again.😭😭

And while All Star Superman was McDuffie's last work, I can't rewatch it, knowing what happens. I just can't. I don't care how much praise it has gotten; how McDuffie was able to write a 70-minute movie from the 12 issue series, and how he added the scene with Supes and Martha at Jonathan's grave. Just.Can't.

Plus, the casting for Lex was HORRIBLE.