Type keyword(s) to search

Season 9 Talk

juno
  • Start Topic

Season 9 of LETTERKENNY kicks off with the Hicks, Skids, and Hockey Players attending an American Buck and Doe following the fight with Dierks (Tyler Hynes). Katy takes her scorched earth dating strategy back to Letterkenny and Gail (Lisa Codrington) gets some action of her own. Meanwhile, the Hockey Players learn about Judaism and the whole town gets really into sleepover activities like movies, board games, and girl talk. Then, a “breastaurant” opens in Letterkenny and Tanis (Tiio Horn) starts her own energy drink.

Trailer for new Season

• Love 1

Here we go, Season 9 is out on Crave: Dec 25 and Hulu Dec 26. I hope my Canadian POV doesn't get in way of my breakdown. Here goes:

Letterkenny 09x01 - American Buck and Doe

The wait is over and yes Derks got a beat down and a broken arm. Good episode all around.

The Great: The pre fight jawing between Letterkenny and Derks' gang and then the fight. Also great that Rosie says "Yawn" everytime Gail talks dirty.

The Good: American and Canadian Armed Forces teaming up to help Wayne take down Derks' gang.

The Bad: The operations conversation with the Military Teams. Went on way too long with no joke payoff.

Letterkenny 09x02 - Kids With Problems

Uneven episode where the Beer League is hilarious with Coaches' stories but slows down a lot with the Kids causing problems in Letterkenny; stealing mailboxes, leaving poop bags by doors and grabbing "BONNIE MCMURRAY"

The Great: Coach's stories (call back from the "Three Wise Men" episode) which are NSFW but are hillarious and the reactions of Rielly and Jonesy.

The Good: Tyson and Joint boy's fight. Muay Tai versus Boxing. Stupid wins everytime as they knock each other out.

The Bad: The scared straight type interaction with the kids that went on too long and became cringy and awkward in some parts.

Letterkenny 09x03 - Scorched Earth

Good episode where Katy is unleashed and begins to date a lot to find a mate. Glen tells tales out of school regarding Gail and Jimmy Dickens.

The Great: Glen letting out rumours regarding Gail and Jimmy Dickens. Becomes hilarious when the NSFW conversation moves to Jim Dickens' Dick Skin. Also great seeing Gail get together with Jim.

The Good: Cold Open spoofing tourists returning from England start using a British accent.

The Bad: Sorry, but I am getting tired of being told how awesome Katy is.

Letterkenny 09x04 - Mitzvah

Solid, hilarious episode where Rielly and Jonesy learn about Judaism and Mitvahs and the gang goes to Mo-Deans for Brunch.

The Great: Rielly and Jonesy learning about Judaism and Mitzvah's and going out to make one.

The Good: The Cold Open and double date with Dan and Ellen and Wayne and Rosie. The effort to have Ellen have a conversation without sex content fails massively.

The Bad: Nope too solid an episode.

Letterkenny 09x05 - Sleepover

This is one of those strange episodes that is disconnected from the rest of the season. Okay episode where the gang is snowed (or cold weathered) inside and resort to movies, board game and sleepovers to pass the time.

The Great: Nope too hard too find.

The Good: Rielly and Jonesy talking hockey. Gail, Rosie and Bonnie's game of scrabble.

The Bad: 3 parts: Some connection is made between Darry and Bonnie, but is lost and not addressed the rest of the series. The conversation about a strange sound coming from a woman. The Cold Open where the gang discusses how to fix Gail's vehicle-without any laughs.

Letterkenny 09x06 - Breastaurant

Good episode where a new Hooters type restaurant opens in Letterkenny. Gail worries about the future of Mo-Deans.

The Great: The conversation about the word "taste" is so funny I can't stop watching it. Darry and Wayne crush it.

The Good: Loyalty of Wayne and the gang to Mo-Deans.

The Bad: Conversations regarding women's breasts interest to gay men.

Letterkenny 09x07 - NDN NRG

Okay episode with Tanis showcasing her new energy drink which is a little too much like Bro-Dude.

The Great: It took until episode 7 to get some Tanis. Great character.

The Good: Wayne are Rosie discussing the word Letterkenny.

Lots of the Bads: Sorry, throwing the 3 heels (Derks, Anik and Marie-Fred) from last season into the final episode to create a cliff hanger is not a favorite of mine (bit of a call back to season 2). Bro-Dude rep is so nasty and obnoxious and I hate when she is on my screen and yet somehow she has been given power to take back a hockey trophy.

Letterkenny Overall

4 characters are barely in the season; Glen, Mrs. and Mr. McMurray and Tanis. This somewhat hurt some of the arcs from the season before.

Most of the episodes are uneven meaning that there are scenes that go on too long like the operations conversation and the conversation with the kids.

When it is funny it is rolling on the floor funny. Gail was more enjoyable this season as were Rielly and Jonesy.

This is my favorite show and I enjoyed it but it is declining from the past seasons.

• Love 1

Maybe my attention was elsewhere, but I turned off the first episode partway through. They've become enamored of their own wordplay over plot, and while I admire the clever writing, it was too hard to follow and boring. Like many a show, the main characters have become unpleasant people who are assholes deep down. Having said that, I'll probably give it another go in the hopes I'm wrong.

27 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Maybe my attention was elsewhere, but I turned off the first episode partway through. They've become enamored of their own wordplay over plot, and while I admire the clever writing, it was too hard to follow and boring. Like many a show, the main characters have become unpleasant people who are assholes deep down. Having said that, I'll probably give it another go in the hopes I'm wrong.

You are not wrong. The conversation about operations went on so long I even fast forwarded. Word play that was quick and funny has become long and boring. The open in episode 2 is over 5 minutes talking about the sound a women makes (can't say it you will have to watch but I really hated it).

Season 9 also has wordplay over dialogue and plot so much so that the majority of time the season is spent on word play and puns.

Season 9 turned a bad corner, but I am such an optimistic and love this show so much that I hope for a positive rebound.

15 minutes ago, Ottis said:

This is when Wayne lost me. Jack Ass movies? That doesn’t seem very efficient.

All those cold, winter scenes freak me out. Ugh. That’s why I left the north!

I hope you make it through. Season 9 is my least favorite season. Not much going on just lots of conversations that aren't that funny.

Edited by juno