Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Memento Mori

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

The SWAT team searches for a rogue member of an extremist group planning to attack the memorial service of a famous musician who was outspoken about police brutality. Also, tension mounts between Hondo and Leroy, Darryl's father, when Leroy is released from prison early.

b-sound.jpg

That slow burn between Hondo and Leroy...looks like we could be in for quite the ride. Hopefully they can stick the landing.

The case too was actually good, if only because this one felt more personal with Rhodium's mother involved in the plot and the criminal also having very personal reasons for doing what he's doing, not to mention the drama with Deacon. This was also a bit tighter a story with more depth and nuance than usual, with the "clues pulled out of their butts" being kept to a minimum. There were still a few clunky moments, like the gun dealer folding too easily after being resolute for so long. I've watched crime procedurals for quite some time- and not just Shemar Moore's previous series, Criminal Minds- and only once (an episode of Cold Case, actually) have I seen a criminal in an interrogation actually understand they have the power in that situation, not the police. I mean, I get why the quick fold was necessary for storycraft purposes but in an episode where things didn't really come easy for SWAT, this came a little too easily for them.

Nonetheless, this still rose above their past efforts, and hopefully it's a sign of things to come. Maybe tackling the greater societal issue of racism and the police is the spark this show needed, because it at least gives the show a greater sense of purpose and gives the characters and their stories an extra sense of meaning and greater stakes. You can only do "cases of the week" for so long before that gets stale.

As for the episode continuing that subplot with Chris, Tan and Street...eh, it is what it is. I'm still not sold on it because it feels like a regression for Chris and the drama seems needless, but we'll see where it goes.

• Love 4