Type keyword(s) to search

Kajillionaire (2020)

StatisticalOutlier
  • Start Topic

I liked both of Miranda July's other movies, so I really wanted to like Kajillionaire, but Evan Rachel Wood's voice sounded just like the Theranos lady's and it took me right out of it every time she opened her mouth.  I'm bummed. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
Spell the name of the damn movie right. Sheeeeesh.
6 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Evan Rachel Wood's voice sounded just like the Theranos lady's and it took me right out of it every time she opened her mouth.

It was an interesting acting choice. Other than that I thought she did fine as the emotionally stunted Old Dolio.

MVP was Gina Rodriguez as the tourist into the world of the small-time grifter.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

It was an interesting acting choice. Other than that I thought she did fine as the emotionally stunted Old Dolio.

MVP was Gina Rodriguez as the tourist into the world of the small-time grifter.

I could buy that she dressed like she did, or that she stood like she did, and everything else she did to reflect how emotionally stunted she was.  Just not the voice.  And I don't know if it would have bothered me as much if the Theranos lady hadn't done it first, especially since it was so ridiculed.

And speaking of voices, I had to really look at Debra Winger's face closely to realize it was her (the hair was making me graft Holly Hunter's face onto her).  I find Winger's voice distinctive, and about halfway through realized she'd said only a few words.  Then I was grafting Tracey Letts onto Richard Jenkins, probably because Letts and Winger were recently in The Lovers together. 

I'm blaming all of this on Wood's voice, for taking me out of the movie in the first place.  I shouldn't have been thinking about any of this.

I grafted John Lithgow onto Richard Jenkins, and assumed Evan Rachel Wood was going for an approximation of Debra Winger's voice.  

I thought this was a pretty depressing movie.  That poor girl never stood a chance, starting with her name.