Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Sweet Sixteen

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ha, Isabel wanting Pilar to change her outfit so that the old people wouldn't be judgey was totally Angela and Patty at the grandparents' 50th anniversary party. Some things never change.

Victor thinks of himself as a fixer in his family but it's starting to look like he has one of those rescuer/fireman syndromes that you sometimes see in dating. I wish I could tell him that it's not his job to smooth things over and sometimes it's better to let people just yell at each other and get it all out in the open.

Besides, he is the oldest and will hopefully be leaving in a few years. His family needs to learn how to get along without him there as a buffer. I know that the situation is a bit extreme now since tensions are high due to Pilar finding out about Isabel's affair, but he really needs to learn that it's not his responsibility to play the peacemaker/distraction/mediator. They need to learn to get along without his presence.

After seeing Felix run down the street swinging that tres leches cake, I was certain there was no way it would be in one piece by the time it got home. It was cute that he clearly had no idea what was happening in the soccer game but he was cheering along to make Victor's family happy.

It's sad to see how engrained gender stereotypes are in some people. A kid running around with a toy that freezes people is too girlie? But of course that's because it's a wand and has a star on the end. If it were a big manly staff or sword that froze people, apparently grandpa would be okay with it.

Mia is coming off as a little too perfect - she has charmed Victor, his sister, his mother, and his grandparents. I guess her outburst with her dad's girlfriend was supposed to be her edge.

I felt bad for Benji and Derek. They had no idea that they were going to have to pretend to be straight at Victor's birthday party. When Victor's grandfather complained about them kissing and said, "What if your brother sees that?" I wish Victor had just said, "Then he'll see two people who like each other and aren't afraid to show it." Derek was a bit of a jerk at the end though. If you've stayed at the party this long, the least you could do is not walk out while they're singing Happy Birthday. Is that extra 30 seconds really going to make a huge dent in your plans?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4
On 6/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

After seeing Felix run down the street swinging that tres leches cake, I was certain there was no way it would be in one piece by the time it got home.

That’s what I thought too!

On 6/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I felt bad for Benji and Derek. They had no idea that they were going to have to pretend to be straight at Victor's birthday party. When Victor's grandfather complained about them kissing and said, "What if your brother sees that?" I wish Victor had just said, "Then he'll see two people who like each other and aren't afraid to show it." Derek was a bit of a jerk at the end though. If you've stayed at the party this long, the least you could do is not walk out while they're singing Happy Birthday. Is that extra 30 seconds really going to make a huge dent in your plans?

I think Victor did a good job standing up to Abuelo- I am sure he was raised not to talk back to his elders, and he did it but remained respectful. I also liked his Dad coming into his room and telling him he was proud. I like this family so far. They seem real but very loving. 

I am kinda thinking Derek left because he can tell Benji kinda likes Victor and doesn’t know how to deal with that. Benji keeps looking at him with stars in his eyes and and that’s drawing was very sweet. 

• Love 1