Type keyword(s) to search

First Cow (2020)

• Start Topic

https://a24films.com/films/first-cow

Kelly Reichardt has a new movie out.  If you're a fan of hers, then you'll be pleased to know that this one is another unmistakably Kelly Reichardt movie.

It's getting only a limited release so far, but maybe it will go wider.  I saw it this morning, and I'm still processing it.  The opening scene, in hindsight after the movie ends, is just genius.  And there are wonderful little moments, like when the one guy is invited to another's cabin and starts sweeping.  I fell in love with both of them.

Reichardt's movies can seem very slow (the official website cites her "perceptive and patient eye"--you were warned!).  But if you're of the right temperament for such pacing, her movies are rich and rewarding.

• Love 1

I just saw this this morning, and I really liked it a lot.  Agreed about the opening scene being genius, and I can buy that Cookie was in such bad shape that he just lay down and died, but I'm finding it a little harder to believe that King Li did as well.  Maybe he was worse off than it appeared.

That said, I probably would have cut out about 30 minutes, or tightened up some of the jumps.  Going from Cookie catching fish for the trappers to suddenly buying(?) fancy boots at the fort and watching the cow arrive was a little jarring.  

I love seeing Toby Jones in just about anything, and it's always nice to see Gary Farmer, even if it was just briefly.