Type keyword(s) to search

Little Media Everywhere

• Start Topic

From this NY Times review, it sounds like the series is as insufferable as I found the book to be:

That conception of Elena fits a pattern, an approach “Little Fires” shares with an awful lot of current series: Rather than presenting characters in the round and then developing them, it presents characters as terms in a moral and cultural equation and then slowly reveals their pasts. For the viewer, the surprises are in the revelations and not in the choices the characters make, and rather than seeing the characters grow and change, we just see them being moved around the game board.

• Love 2

Tiffany Boone discusses playing young Mia

Little Fires Everywhere‘s Mia has an inscrutable face and a don’t-mess-with-me vibe, which makes her compelling, intriguing… and really freaking difficult to access, even for one of the women tasked with playing her.

“I don’t know other people’s point of view, but I think it’s hard to, a lot of times, empathize with older Mia,” says Tiffany Boone, who portrays Kerry Washington’s character as a younger woman in the Hulu drama. “She’s really hard, right? And it’s hard to break through to her. You know there’s a reason why she’s like this, but you can’t tell why.”

[...]

To prepare for the role, Boone chatted with Washington on the phone and spent a day shadowing her on set. Mia’s backstory “is what makes you really, really empathize with her,” Boone says. “For me, it was a lot of pressure to make you feel why she’s the person [she is] today, and the choices she’s made.” Adding to the enormity of the task: The hour-long installment encompasses multiple decades. “So many things happened,” Boone says, laughing. “I mean, I had like 30-plus costume changes in that one episode!”

[...]

“Kerry’s physicality is really important to her acting, and she as a person has very interesting mannerisms. For each character, it obviously changes a little bit. For me, the way into understanding the choices and intentions and all of that was her physicality. Like, there was a very specific walk she created for Mia. I entered in through the physicality, and then from there was able to break it down.”

[...]

“Hunters is the first time I played a mother, and then I went straight into playing Mia… Growing up and having a single mom, and seeing the sacrifices that she had to make, I have so much respect for mothers in general. Both of these characters do whatever it takes to protect their child and make a better life for their child. They put their lives on the line.”