Type keyword(s) to search

Kings Of Pain - General Discussion

• Start Topic

From the History Channel website:

"Kings of Pain" follows wildlife biologist Adam Thorn and professional animal handler Rob "Caveman" Alleva as they get bitten and stung by some of the most dangerous animals and vicious stinging insects in the world – from a reticulated python to a rove beetle – to create a complete and comprehensive pain index that will ultimately help save lives."

I am trying to figure out if this is one of the stupidest shows ever.  

• LOL 2
On 11/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I am trying to figure out if this is one of the stupidest shows ever.

Watching stupid shows is a guilty pleasure of mine. I'll fast-forward through most of it but watching these idiots get chewed up is kind of funny.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Eataton said:

watching these idiots get chewed up is kind of funny.

I love that in these early shows it's gradually dawning on their EMT what they're actually doing.  "You guys, you're having this thing sting you, and then you're having that thing sting you - that's not a good idea".  It's like he wasn't prepped beforehand at all. 

• LOL 2

And . . . they want us to believe this is all for scientific research. 

I'm getting kind of disappointed in the History Channel.  I mean, American Pickers 5 doggone nights a week and once on weekends!!  I don't know it that's true or not, but it sure seems like it.

I know they can only do so many "Men Who Built America", but couldn't they do a "Women Who Built America"?  It's all about the "men".  The Axemen, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, The Cowboys, The American Revolution . . . it's all about men.  

I think they tried to do the first ladies, maybe that was PBS.  Anyway, the first ladies' jumped all over the place.  I like watching shows like that in chronological order.

They could even go back and show some old stuff.  This American Pickers and Pawn Stars have both worn thin.  Then again, I haven't watched Pawn Stars since The Old Man passed away.  It might be a little different now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

I'm getting kind of disappointed in the History Channel.

ITA.  American Pickers and Pawn Stars (both of which are past their expiration date, IMO) can at least make a legitimate (if tangential claim) for being on History, but this show cannot.  Same with the car shows, weird people in Alaska shows, and Ancient fucking Aliens.  Oh, and Oak Island.  This show belongs on Discovery. Or maybe the Comedy channel.

Anyway, I am still watching KoP for the snark factor if nothing else.  Last night they were in Mexico (which is hot and has a lot of desert, in case you didn't know).  They got stung by (or should I say stung themselves with?) harvester ants, a tarantula wasp and a crown of thorns.  Big surprise, all 3 hurt like hell.  Instead of the EMT they had an actual doctor specializing in venom.  I thought he might add something informative, but for most of the show he sat in the background saying nothing and showing his teeth.  Not sure if he was smiling or grimacing.  I know he said something towards the very end of the show but I couldn't quite understand him. 

• Love 1
On 1/10/2020 at 3:42 PM, 4Sibes Redux said:

Seems like there’s not much interest in this show here. This week the duo got stung by bullet ants and bit by piranhas. Neither were very interesting. My mind wandered. 

Well, exactly.  Every show, they go out and look for a bug, find the bug, and get stung.  Then they go out and look for another bug or fish or sea creature, and get stung. Aside from the first show, where for some reason they did three, they only do two creatures a show, and it just goes too slowly.  Plus, no matter how bad the pain at the time, when they go back to evaluate the sting they always rate it much lower than I would have expected.  And I don't see the point of it all.  So they have a 30 point scale instead of the original 4 point scale? Big deal. What are they planning to do with this "research"? 

• Love 2
On 1/10/2020 at 3:42 PM, 4Sibes Redux said:

Seems like there’s not much interest in this show here. This week the duo got stung by bullet ants and bit by piranhas. Neither were very interesting. My mind wandered. 

Yeah, that show was pretty underwhelming. The finale sounds a little better with a 16 foot python and a giant centipede. Supposedly they get pretty sick and bloodied. They really can't escalate it much beyond that. I don't see how this show can last another season without them losing limbs or really getting poisoned.

18 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Every show, they go out and look for a bug, find the bug, and get stung.

This show is tolerable mainly for the comic value of watching the idiots do that to themselves. Even then it needs to be fast-forwarded. I probably get through an episode in 15 or 20 minutes. It sounds like in the finale tonight they'll top themselves with bloody stitches and vomiting. I think the real "research" was the test to see how far a couple of fools will go to be on T.V.😄 If anyone is interested, I just found that there are 2 episodes tonight. Probably our last chance to see these guys ever.

Edited by Eataton
  • Love 1

I'm questioning using the python as a sample except for the shock value.  I thought this was a study of venom, and the few times they've been bitten rather than stung the creatures' bites always included venom.  The python is non-venomous.  So they were doing it just to see how much it hurt, and how bad a scar they were going to get.  This was stupid.  And yes, I sat there and watched it. 

The behind the scenes show was actually quite good.   I enjoyed the bloopers, the chili pepper eat-off and especially the slow loris.  Don't know why they didn't show the slow loris in a regular episode. 

Of course they decided they would go forward with their "research" so a second season is possible.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I'm questioning using the python as a sample except for the shock value.  I thought this was a study of venom, and the few times they've been bitten rather than stung the creatures' bites always included venom.  The python is non-venomous.  So they were doing it just to see how much it hurt, and how bad a scar they were going to get.  This was stupid.  And yes, I sat there and watched it. 

The behind the scenes show was actually quite good.   I enjoyed the bloopers, the chili pepper eat-off and especially the slow loris.  Don't know why they didn't show the slow loris in a regular episode. 

Of course they decided they would go forward with their "research" so a second season is possible.  

The python was kind of interesting. If the show gets renewed and these guys are willing to keep going I'll watch. I don't know what kind of bites they'll do because they really can't escalate the venom much more without being seriously dangerous. One thing I've often wondered is how much  crayfish hurts but never had the guts to test it. Maybe start there and do some crab and lobster pinches. I agree about loris and pepper segments but there are lots of hotter peppers they should do. Even normal people eat jalapeno and habaneros (not me). maybe they could revisit that.

On 6/2/2020 at 8:00 AM, Quack said:

Are they actually legitimate wildlife biologists ? 

I don't know any more than what we've been told.  This is from History channel:

“Kings of Pain” follows wildlife biologist Adam Thorn and professional animal handler Rob “Caveman” Alleva

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't know any more than what we've been told.  This is from History channel:

I don't think you need a degree in ANYTHING to do what these dopes do. If you gave a starving homeless person money to get bit by all of these creatures it would be considered abuse. These guys apparently think they're expanding on scientific work. It'll suck for them if they film a whole season and not even get renewed.

• Love 1

Well, apparently, I am the only person watching the second season.  You're not missing much.  Due to the pandemic, they stopped traveling around the world, which was one of the few things that kept this show interesting.  Instead, to make it look like they're going somewhere exotic, they traipse out to the California desert where they open up a container with the first bug of the week.  They examine it and exclaim at how much it is going to hurt to get stung/bitten by this bug.  They wonder if they should call it all off this time.  (They do not.)  Then a day or two later they traipse back out there for the biting/stinging.  There is much cursing, which is all bleeped.  A few days later they traipse out there again, usually at night, to sit around a campfire and rate the bug.  And then they repeat the whole process with a second bug for the second half of the episode. 

• Love 1

Ok guys I want to see you guys Catch and get Stung by a Deep Deep Ocean Ghost Shark 

They have Sharp Supposedly Venomous Spines on it's Back 

So You Guys up for this Date !!! or Challenge !!!  ???

We Shall See 😝😝😝

On 7/25/2022 at 10:15 PM, Wiredog said:

I NEED a Dr. Ben t-shirt!

I will grant you that Dr Ben is the break-out "star" of this show.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:09 AM, Rob Hut said:

Ok guys I want to see you guys Catch and get Stung by a Deep Deep Ocean Ghost Shark 

They have Sharp Supposedly Venomous Spines on it's Back 

So You Guys up for this Date !!! or Challenge !!!  ???

That would work as a great tie-in with Shark Week on Discovery.  However, after this incredibly lackluster season 2 - seriously, even Adam and Rob seemed over it - I don't think there will be a season 3.  If there is, it will prove to me that the History Channel has given up on history all together and just wants to produce reality shows.