Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Quilt Fairy

Kings Of Pain

From the History Channel website:

"Kings of Pain" follows wildlife biologist Adam Thorn and professional animal handler Rob "Caveman" Alleva as they get bitten and stung by some of the most dangerous animals and vicious stinging insects in the world – from a reticulated python to a rove beetle – to create a complete and comprehensive pain index that will ultimately help save lives."

I am trying to figure out if this is one of the stupidest shows ever.  

• Laugh 1

20 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It’s like “Jackass,” but without the attempt at humor. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:16 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Watching stupid shows is a guilty pleasure of mine. I'll fast-forward through most of it but watching these idiots get chewed up is kind of funny.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eataton said:

watching these idiots get chewed up is kind of funny.

I love that in these early shows it's gradually dawning on their EMT what they're actually doing.  "You guys, you're having this thing sting you, and then you're having that thing sting you - that's not a good idea".  It's like he wasn't prepped beforehand at all. 

• Laugh 2

And . . . they want us to believe this is all for scientific research. 

I'm getting kind of disappointed in the History Channel.  I mean, American Pickers 5 doggone nights a week and once on weekends!!  I don't know it that's true or not, but it sure seems like it.

I know they can only do so many "Men Who Built America", but couldn't they do a "Women Who Built America"?  It's all about the "men".  The Axemen, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, The Cowboys, The American Revolution . . . it's all about men.  

I think they tried to do the first ladies, maybe that was PBS.  Anyway, the first ladies' jumped all over the place.  I like watching shows like that in chronological order.

They could even go back and show some old stuff.  This American Pickers and Pawn Stars have both worn thin.  Then again, I haven't watched Pawn Stars since The Old Man passed away.  It might be a little different now.

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evagirl said:

I'm getting kind of disappointed in the History Channel.

ITA.  American Pickers and Pawn Stars (both of which are past their expiration date, IMO) can at least make a legitimate (if tangential claim) for being on History, but this show cannot.  Same with the car shows, weird people in Alaska shows, and Ancient fucking Aliens.  Oh, and Oak Island.  This show belongs on Discovery. Or maybe the Comedy channel.

Anyway, I am still watching KoP for the snark factor if nothing else.  Last night they were in Mexico (which is hot and has a lot of desert, in case you didn't know).  They got stung by (or should I say stung themselves with?) harvester ants, a tarantula wasp and a crown of thorns.  Big surprise, all 3 hurt like hell.  Instead of the EMT they had an actual doctor specializing in venom.  I thought he might add something informative, but for most of the show he sat in the background saying nothing and showing his teeth.  Not sure if he was smiling or grimacing.  I know he said something towards the very end of the show but I couldn't quite understand him. 

I wish that they’d tell us how much time had elapsed between each species. 

The Australian guy, Adam Thorn, always has more welts than the American guy.