Type keyword(s) to search

Tammy (2014)

• Start Topic

Melissa McCarthy is sort of relying on shtick for a similar persona in all of her movies.  I'd love to see more of her doing not necessarily drama, but less full-on slapstick.  Her role in St. Vincent is apparently less of a full-out comedy, but she isn't the star, either.

Still, Tammy has its funny moments, and heck, three Oscar nominees (Susan Sarandon, Kathy Bates and Toni Collette).  But don't cast Kathy Bates in a small role, because she's going to steal every scene she's in.

I don't know Mark Duplass, I haven't seen any of the TV series he's been in, but I liked  him. 

They should have introduced Dan Aykroyd earlier in the film, his appearance was a little jarring, but he was funny.

I know it's getting terrible reviews, but I loved it! They did well by starting with Tammy singing along to the radio in the car, because the idea alone makes me giggle, McCarthy s great at those scenes.

The only part I thought they dropped the ball on was

Tammy being angry about her grandmother leaving when she was a kid. I thought she didn't want grandma with her because, well, she's her grandmother, but apparently she had real issues with her!

Great cast, Mark Duplass was especially charming.

The only thing I can see when the trailer for this movie come on is that if Chris Farley was still living, he would be in this movie. It seems like they are determined to make her into some Chris Farley-like buffoon in these movies. I love Melissa McCarthy so I will probably end up watching this on DVD at some point.

(edited)

Okay. sigh.  My 16 yr. old niece dragged me to this movie.  After seeing the trailer once I knew I would hate this pic with the fire of a thousand suns.  We saw the movie and I.just.couldn't.  I told my niece and her friend I had to leave, walked out about half way through and demanded a ticket refund just for the hell of it.  For all three of us.  While the girls were still watching the picture.  The manager sympathized, was pretty cool actually.  I got a cash refund on the tix and a coupon for some free concessions.

I am really disappointed with Susan Sarandon.  Why the HELL would she agree to sign on to this piece of shit?  Does she need the money that badly?  I just don't get it.

I've only walked out on a movie once before in my life and got a ticket refund.  The Brady Bunch Movie.  Anyone gonna admit they paid money to see that?

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 1

The only thing I can see when the trailer for this movie come on is that if Chris Farley was still living, he would be in this movie. It seems like they are determined to make her into some Chris Farley-like buffoon in these movies.

Agreed, but she's even less funny than him.

Okay. sigh.  My 16 yr. old niece dragged me to this movie.  After seeing the trailer once I knew I would hate this pic with the fire of a thousand suns.  We saw the movie and I.just.couldn't.  I told my niece and her friend I had to leave, walked out about half way through and demanded a ticket refund just for the hell of it.  For all three of us.  While the girls were still watching the picture.  The manager sympathized, was pretty cool actually.  I got a cash refund on the tix and a coupon for some free concessions.

I am really disappointed with Susan Sarandon.  Why the HELL would she agree to sign on to this piece of shit?  Does she need the money that badly?  I just don't get it.

I've only walked out on a movie once before in my life and got a ticket refund.  The Brady Bunch Movie.  Anyone gonna admit they paid money to

I never knew you could really do that!

• Love 2
(edited)

I never knew you could really do that!

Yeah, you can politely and respectfully ask for a refund but the movie's gotta be REALLY bad, you gotta walk out before about half way through the movie and you gotta talk to the manager.  Be nice and say you want a refund and why or they (the movie people) will just beat around the bush.  You cannot ask for refunds regularly and yeah, I gotta admit, the particular manager I spoke with was pretty awesome.  When I got a refund on the Brady Bunch movie I just got 2 free passes to see another show (which I was perfectly happy with).  Hey, when movies are complete shit and cost $12 a ticket, hecks yeah I feel justified in asking for a refund.

Edited by beesknees