Type keyword(s) to search

Vet Exotic - General Discussion

BookWitch
  • Start Topic

Talking about the November 3rd episode. Poor gecko! I hope the people he left it with felt bad! The woman with the rabbit that had dead babies. She works for the place and should know better! The turtle was interesting. If they hadn't went in the way they did, they may not have found the infection. 

On 11/5/2019 at 12:02 PM, BookWitch said:

Talking about the November 3rd episode. Poor gecko! I hope the people he left it with felt bad! The woman with the rabbit that had dead babies. She works for the place and should know better! The turtle was interesting. If they hadn't went in the way they did, they may not have found the infection. 

ITA I was actually pissed that she didn't have her rabbit spayed or at least say she would not keep it with a male rabbit.

• Love 1

It's interesting that Dr. T. openly rejoices in the exotic pet trade. Dr. K. (in Florida) will occasionally state that wild animals should be left in the wild, then she'll return to treating whichever critter is in front of her. Kind of like "somebody has to take care of them."

As much as I believe both women are great vets, it bugs me to see some of these creatures in captivity. (I don't mind rabbits or rescued wildlife.) I feel that some viewers rush out and buy exotic pets after seeing them on TV.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
On 11/11/2019 at 11:02 AM, BookWitch said:

I think the chinchilla was injured by the other people that had her and that's why they took her back and didn't say anything. I wonder if that medicine fixed that growth on the rabbit. 

I think so too. I'm glad it got the medical treatment it needed and proper owners.

The rabbit will have to take the medicine for a couple of months, according to Dr T, to see if if it works. It would be nice if we saw a follow up.

• Love 1

Another episode that was testament that people don't know how to take care of exotic pets. Even a vet who owned a chinchilla didn't understand the proper diet, which led to an animal with incurable, painful dental disease.

A tiny baby parrot that had mysterious metal in its intestinal tract and insufficient calcium - the breeder's fault? And a family with no experience in any kind of pet buying her.

It's distressing to think about how many exotic pets do not receive proper care and suffer so terribly.

Thankfully Dr. T. knew how to treat the sneezey bunny, which apparently received sub-standard care from other vets.

• Love 3

What are the odds of a Dr. K and Dr T episode both have a giant lizard named Smaug. 

The second Smuag getting nailed by the couch. He was really lucky that it didn't do more damage. The kangaroo was a bit much.  I missed the part how he got injured. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

What are the odds of a Dr. K and Dr T episode both have a giant lizard named Smaug. 

The second Smuag getting nailed by the couch. He was really lucky that it didn't do more damage. The kangaroo was a bit much.  I missed the part how he got injured. 

Me too. Not only how Red got injured but who wrapped up his leg?

Also about Smaug. Dr T did tell the owners not to let him roam around.  I hope she meant forever.

• Love 1

They never said what the results were for the the emu's blood work. Was it botulism from the dead rat?

The hedgehog  eating the bedding. They mentioned it was paper, I wonder if it tasted good to her. 

• Love 1