Type keyword(s) to search

Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wasn't expecting slapstick comedy in this show. On the other had, I have been expecting Fang's offspring to suffer horrible deaths, probably still in the egg. We only saw one get smashed right? The Queen(?) only had one later.

Egyptians vs Assyrians. That...actually tracks.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:47 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Wasn't expecting slapstick comedy in this show.

Much needed comedy. You need a laugh as Fang smacks Spear around for messing with her eggs before the fuck-large Egyptian winds up breaking one of those. As awesome as the episode was in scope, it was still a bit horrific. Makes me wonder what Samurai Jack would have been had it originally aired on Adult Swim.

Am I a wuss for thinking there should have been a disclaimer. “.WARNING: In this episode, two elephants get killed. One has its guts fall out after getting sliced in the stomach. Just FYI.”

Edited by Lantern7

And in this episode, she kills the conquered leader but keeps the kitten. Some months must have passed because it has time to grow up. Note Spear just tosses it across the room. So killing and mutilating people and animals are okay unless they're cats? I knew I remembered European-ish people from the season preview, but I bet that's all we're going to see of them.

Credits list 'Ima' and 'Amal'. I will conjecture the queen is Ima and the giant warrior is Amal.

On 9/2/2022 at 3:52 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

And in this episode, she kills the conquered leader but keeps the kitten. Some months must have passed because it has time to grow up. Note Spear just tosses it across the room. So killing and mutilating people and animals are okay unless they're cats?

Here's my best guess:

(PRISON SHIP)

Spear: Okay, lets go over the escape again.

Fang: Yeah, sure, why not? I'm tired of fretting over my unborn children and eating all sorts of people!

Spear: Okay, when the guy comes with the thing that makes the door not move, I'll knock him out. I'll use that thing, we storm the throne room . . .

Fang: So far, so dumb. I mean, I know you're all instinct, and that makes you awesome. When you start making plans, it's painful to watch.

Spear: Okay, so we'll get the eggs . . . Mira . . .

Fang: Her name being the one word you can articulate . . . .

Spear: (glaring) We get the eggs . . . Mira . . . the child . . .

Fang: Have you told our friend about this?

Spear: I've tried. (shouting at Kamau) Hey! Tiny! We're gonna get your kid! Wanna help?

Kamau: (emotionally dead)

Spear: Oh, and we gotta grab the cat.

Fang: Why?

Spear: It's young. It's innocent. We don't kill the young.

Fang: (glare)

Spear: I told you Viking Boy was an accident!! He was on my head, scratching out my eyes! How was I supposed to know I'd throw him near a rock where he could break his neck?

Fang: Have you considered the guy that the female murdered might have been a jerk as well? And that the cat isn't innocent?

Spear: Not this again . . .

Fang: Yeah, this again! I saw you with those not-dinosaurs with the long noses! They weren't shooting at you, but you killed two of them!!

Spear: That was battle!

Fang: Right. Damn, that cat has gotten bigger. You think my kids hatched yet?

Spear: Nah. When it happens, it'll probably be at the most inconvenient time.

Shockingly, the dinobabies survive. Or maybe they won't, as there's one more episode to go. Looks like Spear may have killed the cheetah(?) after all since it made no appearance. The slaves on the barge appeared to be Vikings, which would be appropriately ironic.

It's a little thing but I loved the expression on Mira's face as she looks up at Kamau after the Queen crashed onto the deck. I assume they just pitched the body overboard.

“Well, I’m sure this is the penultimate episode. Spear and Mira led a revolt, Queen Bitch is dead, Kamau got his kid back, and Red and Green got their first taste for blood. I know the other shoe is gonna drop. I also know that’s funny, because barely anyone wears shoes on this show. How bad is it going to be?”

(Eldar the Flaming Viking walks on water, menace on his mind)

”Oh, shit. Forgot about that guy.”

Damn, that was some tense shit. And I don’t think there’s a guarantee that Spear and Fang would not get killed even if they’re the leads.

6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Spear, Fang and Mira lead a daring escape from the Colossaeus.

Oh, the Colossaeus was the ship. I thought that was Kamau’s moniker.

Edited by Lantern7

We'll be getting Mira's origin in the season finale.

Okay, so the general thinking is that you have all these civilizations that clash with each other, and Caveman/Dino Land didn't get any visitors until Mira came over in the first season finale. But even though she was kidnapped by vikings, the mark branded upon her head was a scorpion . . . and that doesn't get linked with vikings.

Edited by Lantern7

Well, shit.

Should there be a third season? “Primal” is still a word that can apply, even though Spear is dead and his daughter seems to lead a peaceful life with Mira. That last scene just felt like an end, perhaps THE end.

Spear died as he lived . . . like a badass. He rushed a flaming Chieftain, fell down a mountain while on fire, and he got the win. Well, Chieftain might have been down for a few more rounds, but then the giant flaming hand grabbed him and pulled him underground. I kinda feel bad for the guy, even if his people were established slavers.

Kamau got killed, didn’t he? Ditto his daughter and everyone that escaped the Colossaeus. That’s depressing. I imagined him and Spear being besties/rivals, with Mira caring for his kid.

Spear’s dad looked like Kalibak from the Superman animated series. He went out like a champ as well. And lil’ Spear was badass as well.

• Like 1

I was on a plane for the premiere airing so just caught it. Well shit. I wanted to see where they went. Genndy already gave an interview and said this was the end of Spear and Fang. Any third season will continue in the same style with different characters.

Demon Cheiftan seemed to have some way to home in on Spear so I choose to believe he just went past the Colossaeus and they're all right. Even the kitty.

I keep meaning to ask . . . was that last scene with Spear and Mira out of pocket? I mean, the whole thing was moving, but then Mira looks around for potential witnesses before sending him off on a high note. And then you have to wonder how much of Spear was burnt up.

Reminds me of the days when The Onion had a TV show for sports. One bit was a race horse breaking his leg, and his owners were panicking, fearing they’d lose his seed. That is what came to my mind. Seriously . . . damn, Mira.

Not completely appropriate for this forum but, Genndy Tartakovsky's latest animated series, Unicorn Warriors Eternal, will be appearing on Adult Swim on May 4, 2023 at Midnight with a 2 episode premiere.   

7 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Not completely appropriate for this forum but, Genndy Tartakovsky's latest animated series, Unicorn Warriors Eternal, will be appearing on Adult Swim on May 4, 2023 at Midnight with a 2 episode premiere.   

I saw the first episode at NYCC. Not bad, but the bar is pretty damn high.