Type keyword(s) to search

Hiro Nakamura: Yatta! I Teleported Myself!

Before the show starts up again, I have to ask: how do you like your Hiro? I know this is going to run counter to the commercials I've seen so far, but I like the dopey fanboy from the start of the series. He was just so cute and cuddly back then. I didn't mind the thought of Future Hiro being a pseudo-samurai, but Dopey Hiro was more relatable. Also, you could get more laughs from him. Remember when he tried to ambush the African psychic? He lays in wait, sees a (Tim Sale-drawn) image of himself getting hit in the hit with a shovel, and WANG! blow to the head. So he goes back a few minutes prior. He sees another image of himself getting knocked out, basically goes, "Oh, shit," and WANG! blow to the head. Then the African (whose name I've forgotten) walks over to where Hiro was to begin with and clocks him one. Good times . . . unless it turns out Masi Oka got a concussion, in which case I apologize.

• Love 1

Hiro was fun, all right (certainly more entertaining than Parkman's turtle), but since the new show is set several years after Claire jumped off the Ferris wheel, it would be hard to believe that he's still so naive, particularly after the way the Charlie story resolved.

I linked to an interview with him in the Reborn thread... it talked some about what he's going to be like in this.

I liked Hiro at first, but grew pretty weary of him after a while, because I realized the character wasn't progressing into the badass future Hiro that was supposedly from five years after the first season. When he was still the clumsy comic relief in the fourth season that he was in the first, I gave up on him.

As Masi put it in the interview I mentioned, Bad-ass Hiro was from an alternate timeline that never resolved...

he's similar to him in Reborn but not as dark.

Other than that final resolution with Charlie, I think Hiro's best moment in the later seasons came when he crossed paths with his S1 self, and angrily exclaimed, "Never mind about the sword!"

• Love 1