Type keyword(s) to search

[Not A Bug] Different layout with 100% vs. 90%

tessaray

So, I've been defaulting to the Follows a lot of the time because I like being able to see when and who was the last poster but I'm trying to figure out why I can only see it now if I put my browser window at 90%.  On Windows 7 it's the same with Chrome (latest), Firefox (kinda old) and Opera (latest). 

The first graphic is the 90% version. 

Note: I installed Ghostery (in Chrome/Firefox - Opera has it built in more or less) recently for the anti-tracking, so I see in IE it looks normal at 100%.  Does that mean I need to choose?

ptv-90.jpg

ptv-100.jpg

On 2/16/2019 at 9:16 AM, SilverStormm said:

No idea, but I will ask.

Thanks. Just wanted to add that I just accessed the site using a Chromebook and it did the same thing but in this case the browser was originally set at 125% and when I clicked it to 110%, it behaved the same as above. So it appears to just be reducing the zoom that activates the layout shift. 

I'm relaying Dave's answer below.

The layout changes when the pixels width of the browser hits X (viewport). Zooming basically makes the pixels bigger for the purposes of counting them for the viewport. If the 100% view measures 1000 pixels the 200% zoom would measure 500 pixels  for viewport purposes. The design changes itself at certain viewport measurements so zooming in is triggering these.

Hope that helps. Any questions please let me know.