Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Adam

A memory thief gets in to the minds of the Torchwood team, and uncovers long forgotten secrets.

Adam: What's wrong?

Ianto: My diary. You're not in it. Everyone else is. Why would I leave you out when you've been here so long? Like I'm remembering a man who doesn't exist...

I have a real soft spot for this ep. This was the first TW i watched in full and it's what made me go back to watch from the start. I needed to understand Jack and Ianto, cause Jack's faith in who Ianto is , is so absolute. So i was like how did these guys get to such a place of trust ?

Yes it has plot holes but i don't care, the acting in this is so good from everyone especially GDL. How he goes from horror to ecstasy and back to the horror while Ianto is telling Jack he is a killer, is amazing and JB little touches as he shows just how uncomfortable Jack is with every word that ianto is saying yet so determined not to believe a word of it. One of the best scenes TW has done

But equally so is the Gwen and Rhys one when she comes home and she has no idea who he is , EM and KO are pretty wow in that one. But as that scene continues it has one of the funniest moments yet it's completely unintentional. As Jack and Adam rush from the SUV in such a heroic manner, then have to stand there while Gwen buzzes them in LOL Lucky she was able to do that otherwise they were useless LOL

But i have a couple burning questions that always comes to mind when i watch this ep and no matter how much i enjoy it the ep, the thought is always there. Who's glasses is Owen wearing and how can he see out of them LOL

Who's glasses is Owen wearing and how can he see out of them LOL

Maybe they're his glasses and he normally wears contacts? lol Because if you're suddenly rendered geek it's a legal requirement, punishable by geek credentials revocation, that you wear glasses even if you never did before.

Edited by Swansong

Maybe they're his glasses and he normally wears contacts? lol Because if you're suddenly rendered geek it's a legal requirement, punishable by geek credentials revocation, that you wear glasses even if you never did before.

I guess i forgot to factor in the Geek factor Swansong LOL Can't we just get that the cardigan or his hair though LOL. It's just so wrong, you can't just start wearing glasses and still see normally LOL I mean we get that Tosh is a sexy woman now from her cardigan , it becomes a top, an overly tight fitting top as well LOL

Agreed Captanne one of my favs as well for so many reasons, the acting, the mirroring of the relationships, Jack and Ianto, it's their relationship and Jack's trust that made me check out TW properly.

That's the thing, Mousey.  I'd just give a string of "duh" comments because I loved the whole thing.

For me, though, the turning point was the lie detector test.  And the hug in the well of the hub beforehand.  And the fact that Ianto figured it out through his journal.  And the fact that he's so terrified of being a serial killer.  And his genuine fear which he believes (doubting himself) and Jack trusting him beyond "proof".  And Ianto being the wildcard Adam didn't count on.  

And Ianto.

Did I mention him?

ETA:  Oh, yeah, and the whole scene on Tatooine.  

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

That's the thing, Mousey.  I'd just give a string of "duh" comments because I loved the whole thing.

For me, though, the turning point was the lie detector test.  And the hug in the well of the hub beforehand.  And the fact that Ianto figured it out through his journal.  And the fact that he's so terrified of being a serial killer.  And his genuine fear which he believes (doubting himself) and Jack trusting him beyond "proof".  And Ianto being the wildcard Adam didn't count on.  

And Ianto.

Did I mention him?

ETA:  Oh, yeah, and the whole scene on Tatooine.  

Oh Tatooine, how can you not love such a bland future LOL  Why don't people from the future like colour ? Wonder if Jack was related to Luke or not LOL

I'm just going to say, "everything Captanne said" because really...everything Captanne said.

As for Owen's glasses, it didn't strike me as weird because I knew a few people who hated wearing their glasses so used contacts but when their eyes got irritated or too tired, they had to wear their glasses.  SO, they always made sure that the prescription for their glasses was up to date.  Owen is someone I have no problem believing needs glasses but thinks he's too cool to wear them so wears contacts instead.  Then, when Adam re-formatted his brain, that particular preference got changed.

I don't wear glasses or contacts but wouldn't you have to be more protective if you wore contacts. I mean you can clean glasses easily and take them off much more easily but what would happen if you got alien goo on your contacts. So i have never imagined Owen needed glasses

I don't wear glasses/contacts either but my husband does so I asked him.  Basically, he said it wasn't a real problem unless you got something directly in your eye.  I don't know about you guys but even without contacts I am not happy when I get something in directly in my eye.  So I imagine Owen would try and protect his eyes just like the rest of them.  If he reflex is good he could close his eyes before too much damage occurred.  Also, when my husband has gotten something in his eye he's just taken out his contacts and put in a new pair (unless he's done for the day in which case it's glasses or nothing at all).

I don't expect the show to have cared about putting that much detail into something like that even if Owen needing glasses or contacts was something they had always connected to the character.  But most likely it was a decision made just for the episode.  Still, I don't see it as being completely implausible.

Owen is someone I have no problem believing needs glasses but thinks he's too cool to wear them so wears contacts instead.  Then, when Adam re-formatted his brain, that particular preference got changed.

it's more the cliche that because he's suddenly geeky he has to wear glasses. Especially since we never see Owen glasses except in this one instance.

That's what i thought though, Owen does autopsies and carries a weapon, wouldn't he have to wear some sort of safety glasses. With the possibility that something could come back and hit him in the eye.

I mean Tosh only wears hers, when she is working on the computer screens but she is also mainly at the computers. Owen faces more danger of something getting in his eyes then any of them.

But no i don't think they thought of that either, silly show LOL. I don't know why though BG wears glasses as a person i think, so he had to wear contacts playing Owen, not hard to put some sort of protective gear on him when he is doing the autopsies LOL

It just always stands out, how is he seeing and where did he get the glasses from ? There not Tosh's LOL

Personally, I think the glasses were an affect for "geekiness".  Does Burn Gorman wear glasses normally?  It might have been an actor's suggestion -- i.e., "Hey, I wear contacts as Owen but what if I just wore my regular daily glasses?  That would make him look more like a Poindexter, no?"

Edited by Captanne

I was watching Adam today and I was thinking shouldn't the team be more confused about things. Like when Gwen suddenly appears and doesn't know who Adam is he inserts himself into her memories, but he doesn't change her memories of Owen and Tosh so why isn't she confused by Owen's personality change. And then he changes Tosh's memories to make her believe she's been in a relationship with him for a year, but when Owen stumbles on them kissing he doesn't change his memories, just walks away with a smirk, but no-one seems confused by the fact that they've supposedly been together for a year. it made me kind of wish for an episode where Adam keeps changing one person's memories, but keeps forgetting to change everyone else's. Wacky  hijinks ensue.

I have thought about the Gwen one Swansong why isn't she noticing the differences but i just sorta went that's Gwen. But i never thought about the Tosh one, why isn't everyone surprised about Tosh and Adam since he just change that bit with her