Type keyword(s) to search

Trust - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

San Francisco mansion once owned by William & Vanessa Getty sells for $27 million

William is the youngest son of Gordon (son of JP and his fourth wife Ann). The five story house is 9700 square feet and has six bedrooms and eight and a half bathrooms. 

William and Vanessa bought the house for $11.5 million in 2002 (three years after they got married) and sold it for $12.5 million in 2015. The developer who bought it renovated and retrofitted everything (lots of pictures at the link) and was asking $30 million when it was originally listed last summer. 

I wasn't too mad at this show. It could have been shorter. There was definitely filler and dragging things out (see: Godfather episode and JP3/Angelo's escape). But it was saved by good performances from strong actors and lots of pretty scenery and visuals. I thought it was better than the Ryan Murphy stuff and Big Little Lies and Fosse/Verdon. But didn't reach the heights of prestige drama in the visuals or the writing. Especially the writing. It pulled its punches too much and was rather sentimental softening the rough edges of the real life characters and giving us most likely fake characters among the kidnappers to get our sympathy. 

I hope to see more of most of the actors in the future. I might even look up some foreign films for more of Primo and Angelo. 

I did like Brendan Fraser and I hope he gets more high-profile mainstream roles. Though I ultimately did not like Chace as a character. Yes, he could handle himself in situations in a fun way. But mostly he threw money around and managed to not get killed. As far as being a fixer, he offered Gail a lot of sympathy and Bible quotes and his advice was not great. 

Speaking of Gail, the writing of that character was... not great. In some ways it was more complex than the typical supermom role that actresses start getting after age 40. But in a lot of ways, it wasn't. Also, VERY victim-blame-y. The show knew that JP2 was a shit but I don't think it made him quite enough of a shit when Gail was off playing detective in Italy and still getting blamed by the script for not choosing better men and not being able to convince the men in her life to act. What kind of BS is that? Blame the people who are not acting. Not the woman with no actual power or resources. 

Harris Dickinson had some very silly stuff to play as JP3 but he sold it. Fully committed. It's an amazing showcase for a young actor when they usually get stuck in teen soaps or coming of age stories or romances. It'll be interesting to see where his career goes. 

I liked Bullimore/Khan but that character was one of those obvious sentimental additions. Also, how did he know he wasn't going to poison the dog? Way too much animal mistreatment in this show.

It felt a little too neat for so many people to abandon JP1 at the end so they could do the Midas thing. I don't know if the women left in real life but it's nice to think they would have. Also, weird that they put in the bit about starvation (which, yes, I knew) and not anything about Midas' daughter.