Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E23: Father and Mother

Sasori's backstory - raised by Lady Chiyo after his parents were killed by Kekkashi's dad (?), he built the Father and Mother puppets but was ultimately frustrated that they couldn't really love him.

In the present, we also find that Lady Chiyo pulled a Finn the Human, and her right arm was a puppet with a chakra shield built in! Sasori's comment on this is that "we puppet masters are all alike", which causes something to occur to Lady Chiyo - hopefully more on that next week.

Unfortunately, Sasori's Third Kazekage's Iron Sand Jutsu disables Chiyo's arm and the Father and Mother puppets. Apparently the puppets are made of iron and steel, which explains their durability but not the woody clattering sounds they make.

The good news is that Sakura is made out of something a lot flimsier but not ferromagnetic, plus Lady Chiyo is only 50% as manipulative now (literally), so it looks like the fight will get interesting.

The really good news is no distractions with Daedara or Naruto this episode. Presably he's still running out of Model Magic or something.

This is some truly awful pacing on behalf of the animation studio. To quote Brian from Family Guy, "Nothing's happening.... Nothing's happening......Nothing's happening..." Do something! There should be a rule on action shows about not having any given fight go longer than 2-3 episodes max. I honestly don't know how long ago episode-wise the Sasori battle started, but its dull as hell.

I wish Team Gai and the remainder of Team 7 would come back. Lathspel, you should know by now that nothing in this show makes sense. :) I know its a sound effects deal, but this is the (sequel) show that said a young boy should retrieve a puppy from the river, when neither could swim and with no help insight.

(edited)

This is some truly awful pacing on behalf of the animation studio. To quote Brian from Family Guy, "Nothing's happening.... Nothing's happening......Nothing's happening..." Do something! There should be a rule on action shows about not having any given fight go longer than 2-3 episodes max. I honestly don't know how long ago episode-wise the Sasori battle started, but its dull as hell.

I'm probably misremembering--it's been many, many months since I watched the sub of this arc, but It seems like they've already cut some parts of this battle. I remember it feeling like it took three episodes for Sasori to emerge from Hiruko and the rest of the battle went on for at least another ten episodes. But I'm prone to hyperbole and wishful thinking so that's probably where this is coming from.

At the very least, I know I was completely bored with the whole thing by the time it ended. Two puppetmasters thinking at each other and Sakura do not compelling television make. Despite the time devoted to his backstory, I'm not that invested in Sasori. Am I supposed to feel sorry for him or think he's kinda badass. I'm confused. He's definitely creepy as hell.

Edited by hieronymous0no
  • Love 1

I may be in the minority - I like the Sasori story line, although I suspect he won't be a recurring villain at the rate it's going.

What typically bugs me on this show, as well as Bleach for example, is when the show trades off between two or three fights. Usually that requires extra recap, so the story moves more slowly.

I totally forgot about Team Gai, but you only need to show them if the fight's going someplace. No need for a five minute checkin to see that they still haven't figured of how to beat their duplicants.

I've got to disagree regarding Bleach. The later seasons seem to introduce filler arcs in the middle of pivotal fights and then cut back to what was originally going to happen. It was distracting. Having said that, I'd rather watch Ten Ten job to Ten Ten than Chiyo, Sakura and Sasori go all DBZ on us. :)

I do like Sasori, but this fight is painful.

(edited)

Kekkashi has a plan to handle Daedara, but Naruto's not one for waiting, as usual.

Team Gai is still kicking (and spinning, and scrolling), but other than using Neji for some limited recon, they don't do much.

Sakura and Sasori raise the roof of the Akatsuki hideout, and then drop it on the floor. Pardon our dust! The walls aren't looking that great either.

Sakura starts to figure out Sasori's attacks, so he turns on Iron Sand Giant Pointy Spiderweb Jutsu (not its actual name) and manages to trap Lady Chiyo and scratch Sakura, poisoning her. We get a nice flashback to Lady Tsunade telling young Sakura that her main job is to not get hit - woops!

The good news is that Sakura uses Sasori's innate impatience (combined with some playing possum) to ambush the Third Kazekage puppet when it closes in to finish the job, possibly destroying it?

Edited by lathspel
  • Love 2

Well played, Sakura! I was so proud of her, though a little surprised that it took her so long to remember her training. I would have thought that sparring and getting your ass handed to you by Granny Tsunade would be memorable. I certainly will not forget the image of her leg bearing down on young Sakura from above, anytime soon.

• Love 2