Type keyword(s) to search

Other shows Buffy led you to?

• Start Topic

Six Feet Under; what a find! The show's premise never actually appealed to me (a family who run a funeral home? Imagine pitching that?) but I watched 4 eps because MT was in them and she was superb! But I was so impressed by those 4 eps I went back and watched the whole series from the beginning (Eric Balfour and Tom Lenk also featuring). It truly is a marvellous show and has probably the best ending sequence in history. 

Criminal Minds: watched it because of Nic Brendon and it was a very interesting series but rapidly became so formulaic I gave up on it. Some interesting acting from Nic as a quite Willow like character and some interesting Buffy actors guest starring, Juliet Landau, Mercedes McNab and especially MT as a character a million miles from Dawn. 

Supergirl: watched it for Emma, unfortunately her character wasn't recurring but stuck with it for Lynda Carter as the president and the terrific Flash crossover musical. 

Ringer: could have been great but just lacked a certain something, hard to put your finger on where it fell down. Do like the ending though where we see that the twins have switched places. 

Tru Calling; again could have been great, especially with the last few eps breaking the formula and when you read on IMDB what they had planned for the rest of s2 it was such a lost opportunity. It was as if they just didn't put enough thought into the show, having Davis and Davies for names and Tru's hangout the 'Standard Cafe', it was as if they hadn't put enough thought into it. 

Dollhouse, I think is Joss' great undiscovered show, so much better than Firefly and yet never got the same appreciation. I know some people write it off as an excuse to put ED in sexy costumes (nothing wrong with THAT!) but it's so much more. 

Firefly, is okay, I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about, it has some good stuff largely taken from Blake's 7 and some amusing stock Joss characters, Kayleigh=Willow, Wash=Xander etc

How I Met Your Mother, is an amusing series, shows AH's range although I don't think it would work these days, the #metoo movement would probably burn Barney Stinson at the stake! 

Much better than Firefly isn't much of an achievement, IMO. Dollhouse wasn't bad but Eliza Dushku simply doesn't have the range to play such a demanding role and the writers clearly made up the plot as they went along (Tim Minear admitted they couldn't put hint for the big plot twist of season two in season one because they only came up with said twist after season one had finished, the idiots).

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, Jack Shaftoe said:

Much better than Firefly isn't much of an achievement, IMO. Dollhouse wasn't bad but Eliza Dushku simply doesn't have the range to play such a demanding role and the writers clearly made up the plot as they went along (Tim Minear admitted they couldn't put hint for the big plot twist of season two in season one because they only came up with said twist after season one had finished, the idiots).

Many, many Browncoats who would disagree with you! I think ED does just fine as Echo although Enver is the best actor in the cast. And yes, the plot twist with the ultimate villain made no sense. 

Agents of Shield is ok, always disappointed that they don't have a Xander character when it was all based on The Zeppo but they sure do have a Willow and a Faith. Did like all the Ghostrider stuff though. Not sure I even consider it a Whedon series. 

Director Sam Tyler; "This Ghostrider, he's what? Inhuman?"

Coulson; "Says he sold his soul to the devil"

Fitz; (scornfully) "Which is nonsense!"

Ghostrider starts to break out of Shield's unbreakable containment unit.

Coulson; "My rational side says no but the flaming skull is a pretty big argument for Hail Satan"

Banshee; largely just Twin Peaks played with a straight face but Eliza is a revelation as drug addicted FBI agent ex-undercover hooker. I kept expecting her to tell the story of when she checked out a bunch of nerdy scientists in Pasadena. And finally a naked sex scene!

Bull; really by the numbers TV, like Law and Order without the police part. Eliza was the best thing about it, shame they didn't make her a regular.