Type keyword(s) to search

Support The Girls (2018)

BigBlueMastiff
  • Start Topic

I thought it was delightful, and Regina Hall's performance knocked my socks off.  But I'm a fan of Andrew Bujalski's movies. 

I can understand that they might not appeal to someone expecting a comedy, even though I think they can be pretty funny.  Like the shot of Regina Hall talking to the guy in the vent--the conversation itself, plus the way it was framed.  Priceless.  And of course when she's outside being pissed off at the bird, and Maci appears and shoots off the confetti cannon.  Great timing on that.

• Love 1

I really liked this movie. I loved how slice-of-life it was. The comedy was in the absurdity of everyday situations (the guy getting stuck in the vent, Lisa trying to get the cable back up and running). I also loved the shows of solidarity between the workers at Double Whammies.

The whole cast was great, but Regina Hall was amazing. Hope she gets some recognition for her performance.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I really liked this movie. I loved how slice-of-life it was. The comedy was in the absurdity of everyday situations (the guy getting stuck in the vent, Lisa trying to get the cable back up and running). I also loved the shows of solidarity between the workers at Double Whammies.

I see what you're saying. I wish I'd seen it this way, but to me it seemed mundane and sad. The only funny part to me was the interactions with the Asian salesman.

On 9/6/2018 at 4:59 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I loved how slice-of-life it was.

On 9/7/2018 at 4:05 PM, BigBlueMastiff said:

I see what you're saying. I wish I'd seen it this way, but to me it seemed mundane and sad.

I think it's a temperament thing.  I'm a big fan of slice-of-life movies, and will always choose to see them unless there's something in particular that doesn't appeal to me.  But I think there are a lot of people on the opposite side--a slice-of-life movie will be boring unless there's something else compelling going on.

That said, I don't automatically like slice-of-life movies.  They still have to be well done and have something to hold my interest.  But I can certainly understand that just their basic "smallness" might not appeal to people.

• Love 2