Type keyword(s) to search

Gordon Clarke: Losing CTRL?

A once-promising engineer, Gordon Clark is sleepwalking through life until the day Joe MacMillan approaches him with a plan to reverse-engineer the IBM PC. He longs for a redo of his past, the humiliating and public failure of Symphonic, a computer he created with his wife, Donna, which failed to turn on at COMDEX, the computer industry trade show. After that traumatizing experience, Gordon reluctantly moved his family to Dallas, Donna’s hometown, and took a job at Cardiff Electric that is far below his abilities. He has a second chance at success, but the deck is stacked against him: Joe MacMillan is a mercurial boss and his vision for their new PC seems out of reach, as it will be faster, lighter and cheaper than all that have come before. Gordon must successfully juggle the technical challenges of the new machine, a difficult working relationship with recalcitrant programmer Cameron Howe and the demands of his family life. Gordon wants glory, but he might collapse under the pressure first.

Nope, it's not just you. The one scene where they're outside of the arcade, and when he sees the blonde he mutters "Greeaaat," I did a double take because I actually thought it was Silas Weir Mitchell for a moment. I thought he was moonlighting in the 80's. In some scenes he looks and sounds like Mitchell then others. I guess that's what I get for knitting and watching at the same time!

• Love 1