Type keyword(s) to search

Adventure Time Comics

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on the various Adventure Time comics out there. When I go to the library, I can find trade paperbacks in the "juvenile" section. Like the series itself, the comics (from BOOM! Studios) aren't merely for kids . . . they can be as subversive as the show.

I've found a lot of books . . . for instance, there have been three original trade paperbacks published so far: "Playing With Fire" features Flame Princess on a quest to save Finn's soul (pre-breakup, obviously), "Pixel Princesses" features LSP and B- and C-list princesses getting sucked into BMO, and "Seeing Red" takes Marcelline and Jake into the Nightosphere to retrieve her prized axe. "Candy Capers" is supposed to be about Peppermint Butler and Cinnamon Bun trying to find Finn & Jake, but it's mostly about teaming up Ooo's finest to fill the void (like Marcelline and Tree Trunks, for instance, and Ice King and Susan Strong).

If you don't feel foolish looking through the kids' section of the library, you should give the books a look. And BOOM! puts out the series and various miniseries on the regular . . . in fact, one of them will feature Root Beer Guy and the Banana Guard Academy. And you can even find stuff from the world of Aaa, with Fiona and Cake, so there's something for the Rule 63 crowd (including a Flame Prince, unseen on TV).

I've found the minis and B&W GNs to be of mixed quality (though I haven't outright disliked any of them), but I love the main Ryan North-written series. Great fun.

I just got the third GN, Seeing Red, and am looking forward to reading it.

Heads up . . . the Banana Guard Academy miniseries will start tomorrow from BOOM! Studios. It's a good remedy for anybody still butthurt over Root Beer Guy's apparent death last week. Here's the description:

Turns out that there is a lot to being a Banana Guard—but being a Banana is not mandatory. This crazy adventure follows Root Beer Guy as he starts his search for new recruits among Ooo’s citizens. Only the best will do in his quest to protect the Candy Kingdom!