Type keyword(s) to search

Bourdain returns to Uruguay after a decade away and finds a progressive nation in the midst of social change, but with evident fragments of its colonial past, most notably in its local cuisine. Accompanied by Uruguayan native and restaurateur/chef Ignacio “Nacho” Mattos, the two visit his hometown of Santa Lucia for a home cooked Italian family meal made by his grandmother, head for a night out in Montevideo with local band Hablan Por La Espalda, sample drive-thru steaks, and cap off the trip with an asado (barbecue) with friends on a small island in Jose Ignacio.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

This was one of the best episodes ever.  I really, really want to visit Uruguay now!  The country was beautiful and progressive, the food was incredible, and the people were good-looking and friendly.  Heck, I want to move there.  What a contrast to the West Virginia episode, where Tony looked uncomfortable.  In Uruguay, smoking legal weed and devouring their great cuisine, he looked incredibly happy.

Yum, so many delicious looking things in this episode! I'm all for a place that's open 24/7 serving sandwiches piled with steak, ham, eggs, and everything else. I'm not sure about the drive thru steak place though. I feel like unless you pull over and eat it immediately, the steam inside the box is going to affect the meat if you drive more than 5-10 minutes.

The beach was really beautiful too. Every time they showed a shot of the beach, I said, "Ooh."