Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Evidence

• Start Topic

It is estimated that every year, hundreds of thousands of rape kits are left untested in police storage facilities. This documentary explores the shocking way that sexual assault cases have been historically processed in the United States.

I am left completely stunned by this.  Boiling with rage, incredulous that there are STILL police personnel who say that the majority of rape reports are false.  That testing the kits reveals not one or two but many serial rapists.  That women are still not believed and their trauma is still considered not a high priority.  So much racing through my mind, can't articulate it all.  I'm grateful they made the documentary, but it's just making my skin crawl.  Do men EVER get treated like this when they report a crime??  I knew untested rape kits were an issue, but I absolutely did not have a clue to the extent of the problem.  So infuriating on so many levels. 

• Love 3
On 4/17/2018 at 2:11 PM, Calamity Jane said:

I am left completely stunned by this.  Boiling with rage, incredulous that there are STILL police personnel who say that the majority of rape reports are false.  That testing the kits reveals not one or two but many serial rapists.  That women are still not believed and their trauma is still considered not a high priority.  So much racing through my mind, can't articulate it all.  I'm grateful they made the documentary, but it's just making my skin crawl.  Do men EVER get treated like this when they report a crime??  I knew untested rape kits were an issue, but I absolutely did not have a clue to the extent of the problem.  So infuriating on so many levels. 

I agree with everything you've said here. I was angered by the fact that law enforcement makes the call as to whether to send the case to the D.A. for prosecution. That is outrageous.

It may be sexist but I realized, once again, while watching this that there are too many men in charge. These investigators, most of the district attorneys, politicians etc., were mostly all men, and as stated in the documentary it is a system of misogyny.

Was not at all surprised that they found so many serial rape cases. My thought has always been if someone does it once they're more likely to do it again, especially if they're not caught. 

It's heartbreaking to see that there are still so many cases that are backlogged that will likely never get reviewed, and even if reviewed the statute of limitations could be up on the case and thus no justice for the victims. 

• Love 4