Type keyword(s) to search

As peace spreads throughout Sri Lanka following the end of its brutal civil war, Bourdain travels to the once divided nation to experience the reinvigorated people, food and landscapes. Starting in Colombo, the country's capital, Bourdain discovers change in in a place he visited nearly a decade ago as he enjoys street food on The Galle Face Green, dining on light curries and lots of seafood. Taking a 10-hour train to the northern "time capsule” city of Jaffna, Bourdain experiences crab curry, a dish he calls the "holy grail of Sri Lankan cuisine,” for its spicy and fiery flavors.

This episode interested me mostly because I went on a couple of dates with a guy from Sri Lanka in 1994 when I was in my early 30s and he was maybe 5 years younger. I had no idea at the time that he might have been escaping a civil war. I don't remember now what I learned about his background or his homeland, and wish I'd asked more questions.

That crab curry in Jaffna did look delicious, and the political play was intense. The house at the end was so beautiful, down to details like the skeleton key in the lock -- how fortunate that the family was able to hang on to it when so much else was destroyed. I got an overall impression of the country that makes me want to learn more.