Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Part Five

Ha, I loved Jeremiah popping up like that pretending to be a doctor!

I couldn't figure out exactly how creepy Simon's obsession with Grace was. Was he just obsessed with uncovering the truth? Or did he really believe that he was in love with her?

Same goes for McDermott. From the beginning, I couldn't tell if he hated Grace or was desperately trying to impress her. Regardless of which one it really was, he was a dick so I can't say I regret him being gone.

• Love 3

That's one of the things that is so...riveting about this story.  It's not just a story. It's an exploration, and a deep one at that.

I think we learn as much about ourselves in trying to figure out/make sense of the characters. I saw Dr. Simon as someone who believes his view of the world is rooted in science, and therefor objective.  He found Grace baffling. To me, part of that was that he had no real knowledge of any woman's experience in the world, much less her specific experience, and he was trying to objectively find a "box" to put her in based on what he did know (I also think that is a human need and we all do it). He was unaware that he brought his own expectations and life experiences to his process of understanding her so his inability to find a "box" to put her in shook his world view to the core.  He came across, to me, as a caring man (his initial assistance to his landlady) and he perceived himself to be a man of science and that any base instincts in him (as he might see them) were under control.

I found MacDermott harder to have an opinion on.  He's another who seemed to find the world he lived, his life in it, clashed with his expectations.  He seemed to hate/disparage women in general, perhaps because of his (hormonal?) need for them. I'm sure there is a lot more to him as well.

I can see why the book might be a great one for students to write about.  It seems to have endless ways of approaching each and every character.

• Love 6