Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Lagos, Nigeria

Once considered the most dangerous city in the world, Lagos is, in many ways, the epicenter of modern Africa. The driving force of the city is a pervasive, almost pathologically positive outlook, a sincerely entrenched “can do” spirit. The ingenuity of the Nigerian people is the focus of Bourdain’s travels as he explores its food, music, and rich cultural diversity. Among the food offerings are fresh fish dishes, spicy soups, a great deal of beef, and the ubiquitous pounded yam. Bourdain also spends time with Femi, Seun and Yeni Kuti, the children of Fela Kuti, a family that is still at the heart of Lagos’ creative, political and cultural scene.

Wow, so few posts this season.  I have known of Lagos for over 30 years as I once worked in college admissions and many of our foreign students were from there.  I never saw it before this show and truthfully it scares me.  I can see why it was once called the most dangerous city in the world.  I wouldn't want to be a woman alone there.  Bourdain looked like he was keeping his mouth shut about a lot of things.  He showed us some of the food but didn't tell us what he was eating.  To me this was a strange episode.

• Love 1

I know the show is not supposed to be political but I thought it was strange too.  I wished Tony had touched upon the issue of the Boko Haram cult because it is one of the things Americans know about Nigeria.  It seems that he wanted to be positive and relate the good things about Lagos.  Fair enough, but one-sided.

• Love 1